Getting my cows today!!

animalfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I own 2 bulls.

One a 1700 lb Belted Galloway, the other a 2200. lb Black Angus. Both are mellow sweet hearts. I will not touch them, or encourage them to be social in any way. I have no fear of herding them, getting up close, or going in their pasture, but I know where they are at all times before I do, and I have my eye on them always and have an escape route on stand by. Do not assume that diving over the fence is an escape route. I have to go out and replace a whole line of fencing today, because the Angus was playing and snapped the posts like spaghetti. Bulls are for experienced people; not beginners. If you do not know cow language and treat them like lap dogs (another problem) you will get hurt. Take a look at a ranchers pasture truck and see what kind of damage a regular momma cow can do and multiple that out. Think mad Rhino in Bull's clothing charging or an Elephant stepping on your toes.

I have never had cause for concern, until the Galloway took exception to my adult son. He gave him plenty of warnings to leave, and I my son did with out ever doubting the outcome of staying or ever again assuming the Bull is a good ole boy. If ever a warning wasn't issued or you didn't know how to read the signs, you would be in deep doodoo.

I also had a proud cut yearling Jersey bull with horns, show up and if you ever saw how he treated my herd, you would cringe. He was a pet that made his way here from a neighbour, and he was dangerous. He made a quick trip to the auction and we were pleased to help him get there; they got the proceeds minus the transport fee and no, the law did not object.

Has this issue been over emphasized? Not nearly. I don't advocate not owning a bull, but you owe it to yourself and your family to not put your guard down for even the 2 seconds you put that child down to take a picture. You got lucky, when the luck runs out there is no going back.

LovinLife

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yeah thanks for all the advice.

kelsey2017

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What happened to the pictures? I went through this thread a couple time and don't see any pictures! Please help.

LovinLife

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
kelsey2017 said:
What happened to the pictures? I went through this thread a couple time and don't see any pictures! Please help.
I deleted them because everyone was freaking out about it.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
LovinLife said:
kelsey2017 said:
I deleted them because everyone was freaking out about it.
We weren't freaking out about your pictures, more about bull safety than anything. Your pictures are very nice, please put them back up again! :)

animalfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes, we are freaking about bull safety, and we are a bunch of Debbie Downers ruining what should have been and was a happy announcement. I appologize for jumping on the band wagon and would also like to see your pictures; I was looking for them when I got caught up in the all the Bull. My bad.

CESpeed

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I'm not arguing with experience; I do respect the advice given on this forum or I wouldn't continue posting here. All I was saying is that one shouldn't thrown the baby with the bath water.

As jhm47 said, only 5% of bulls are deliberately dangerous. 75% of them are perfectly okay. My only point was it's not fair to demonize every bull because a few are truly dangerous ones. At least there is a more balanced conversation going on that will allow newbies to make up their own minds with information both pro and con, rather than make a decision based on fear because of the actions of a few bad animals.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
CESpeed said:
Believe it or not, I'm not arguing with experience; I do respect the advice given on this forum or I wouldn't continue posting here. All I was saying is that one shouldn't thrown the baby with the bath water.

As jhm47 said, only 5% of bulls are deliberately dangerous. 75% of them are perfectly okay. My only point was it's not fair to demonize every bull because a few are truly dangerous ones. At least there is a more balanced conversation going on that will allow newbies to make up their own minds with information both pro and con, rather than make a decision based on fear because of the actions of a few bad animals.
So, not to be a smart alec, but how are you to know which ones are part of the dangerous ones? Isn't it better to assume they're all dangerous?

LovinLife

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
DSC_0841.jpg

Latest posts