LovinLife

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Eddie.jpg

Eddie

kelsey2017

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh nice! Thank you for reposting the pictures. It is really fun to see the different patterns they come out with. I like the one with the speckled face- how cute!

LovinLife

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
kelsey2017 said:
Oh nice! Thank you for reposting the pictures. It is really fun to see the different patterns they come out with. I like the one with the speckled face- how cute!
Thanks. The speckle face is Sugar. She's so little! She's the most shy. Honey's our big girl and is due to have Eddie's calf in December! :) I can't wait but I'm also wishing it wasn't going to be the middle of winter when she has her baby!

LovinLife

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
animalfarm said:
If you do not know cow language and treat them like lap dogs (another problem) you will get hurt.
How do I learn this language you speak of? Do they have Rosetta Stone for "cow language"?

animalfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
LovinLife said:
kelsey2017 said:
Thanks. The speckle face is Sugar. She's so little! She's the most shy. Honey's our big girl and is due to have Eddie's calf in December! :) I can't wait but I'm also wishing it wasn't going to be the middle of winter when she has her baby!
That is a good looking bull. Don't know what you have for shelter, but it will be ok. Don't interfer with mom if she is a newbie, but watch carefully and make sure the calf gets dried off reasonably well. Then just pile a lot of hay on top of it leaving the head peaking out. Body heat will then dry the calf completely and it will be good to go. Try to leave them alone as much as possible so they can bond. Thats the hard part. I have a Jersey bred to calve every Feb. and I keep her in a box stall at night when I think she is close to popping. She has calved at -30C and its been just fine. I like to put a calf jacket on for a few weeks when the weather is that cold because they have access to the outside after 24 hrs. and if it decides to snow or rain or what ever, the calf doesn't get chilled. Jerseys don't have a lot of fat and hair to work with.

LovinLife

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Does a steer have the same behavior problems?

animalfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
LovinLife said:
animalfarm said:
If you do not know cow language and treat them like lap dogs (another problem) you will get hurt.
How do I learn this language you speak of? Do they have Rosetta Stone for "cow language"?
Thats the fun part. You stand back where you are not observed by your darlings, and spend a lot of hours, days, weeks, months, years watching them interact. Watch how they treat each other at feeding time ect...they won't always be loving to each other down right rough as a matter of fact, and that is why we are all preaching safety; its not just for bulls. Just learn how cows treat each other in different circumstances.

Make sure you stay dominant in the herd. Don't baby them. If you want them to move over be firm about it and don't let them ever get the idea that they can rub on you. You only pet them when they stand nicely and don't eat your clothes. Don't pet the bull on the head; it can trigger the butting instinct. Never let them stick their heads in the feed bucket while you are carrying it or crowd up behind you when you are walking in the pasture.

Since you have a cow, heifer and a bull there are some things to start looking for now.

#1 Watch for signs that the heifer is in heat. The cow will be jumping all over her. The bull will be too and then do not go in there for any reason. That is when your bull will lose his brains for sure. Even if he is far away, he will lose his brains. He will be standing staring at his beloved and bellowing his brains out. Don't count on getting any sleep if you aren't letting them breed at the time. Don't try to handle him and make sure every one stays clear. Do not pet him through the fence; you could end up with a broken arm with a simple toss of the head. When you know the cow/heifer is cycling, write it down so that you will be able to watch for it every 3 weeks and not accidently mess with the bull at the wrong time.
(women will be more tolerated than men at this time, but be careful, you don't want to be his girl friend).

The heifer will be contributing to the noise polution as well, if they are separated. You will know when the cycle is over, it gets quiet and the heifer quits making a fool of herself and walking the fence line and gets back to eating. The bull does the same and gets his act back together.

#2 If a cow or bull starts giving you the stink eye and you will recognize a stink eye when you get one, and pawing the ground, make a calm exit backwards keeping your eye on them at all times. They will calm down if you back away. Keep backing up till the behavior stops. Thats the line in the sand; don't cross it again until the cause is determined and taken care of. Maybe you are a grandma. High head means they are on alert and deciding flight or stay put; don't approach if you don't want them to run away. Wait and see if they calm down. Just stand and talk to them. Head down low and stink eye means fight. Watch for pawing; stay well back. If you see pawing without any of the head stuff its still bad.

#3 A momma with a new calf can be every bit as dangerous as a rampaging bull. Dairy cows have more socialization, and that really helps, but do approach slowly while watching for the stink eye and pawing. Don't get trapped between the cow and a wall. Over time you will learn how your cow will be; just open the door slowly, and give her plenty of time to think before getting up close and personal.

#4 Jersey cows just have loopy moments. They can run around bucking and snorting and acting like hyper-active 2 yr olds. Might be playful high jinks but it might be they will run right over top of you if you try to get them to do something. I learned that the hard way when one didn't come in for milking one night and I went looking for her; she made her point and the milking was skipped. She was back to normal in the morning but I was a tad nervous. I call it cow PMS.

These are the main things to watch for because they involve life and limb; the rest you can/will learn by time and trial.

How old is the heifer?

Latest posts