getting oxeye daisy out of pasture

melody

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello: Ox-eye Daisy has taken over my pasture. I work diligently to pull it out but this year, it was everywhere. My sisiter suggested I use Preen but I'm not sure if that is safe for grazing for my 2 horses and 2 goats,
Thanks for any help.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's telling you that you have low nutrient, hard packed soils in that area. Around here we usually only see that flower growing along the roadsides, maybe a few in pastures, but they rarely take over any one area. They seem to like thin top soil, low nutrient fare.

Correct the soils and the daisies will likely not flourish so. Poison is a short term solution for a long term problem, with long term affects on the life of the soil~sort of like suicide.

Maybe turn that area into a rotational grazing area instead, bunching your animals on smaller portions and moving them often so the manure is concentrated in those areas and the weeds are trampled, providing mulch and covering for the more desirable grasses? This winter maybe you could roll out some mulch round bales on that area or move your hay feeding around often so the waste hay can provide mulch and reseeding of other seeds in that area.

Latest posts