Getting rid of lice....Naturally?

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So I noticed a few lice on my doe today. In this day and age we tend to over medicate everything so I would like to deal with this as naturally as possible. Would a small amount of garlic in her nightly feed help? (Can she have that)? Also, I know for humans and other species, a natural mint oil can kill/suffocate them. Is it possible I can follow up a dawn sudsing with a mint "spray"? Does anyone have any more natural suggestions other than the usual premethryn etc.?

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Read something about natural oils mint and lavender..... Hoping someone comes along with some holistic advice.....

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd try DE.

We personally use Cylence and permithrins.

Watch for weight loss and anemia.
When your goat has external parasites that can make them more susceptible to internal parasites.

Be careful with natural oils/homemade recipes off the internet. You can harm your animals.

Let us know if you find something that works :thumbsup

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Was reading about the oils on a blog from a goat raiser..... Going to call our vet and ask her about it.....
Will definitely let you know!

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Vet called back. Said bathe her definitely with dawn, suds her up good. And to try to essential oil with the olive oil as a carrier. She's all for not overdoing it with the chems. Mint, spearmint, tea tree, peppermint...... Anything in that family should cause them suffocation and death and that essential oils from herbs won't harm bc they are natural. Also the oil will help condition the skin and prevent it from drying out. Sharing should be a last resort as it may be cold before it grows back and she could get sunburn. Also I can use Avon skin so soft...... I'll give it a try and let y'all know how it works!:weee