Getting Started

HarleyGirlMo

Just born
Reaction score
Hello All, I am new to the group and new to the country way of life. I really want to go organic and have the setup before we get our herd started. Yes we have chickens on their way, and our doelings will be here soon. So how do I get started? I wanted someone to elaborate on making the "goat plots" in their pasture to enrich their feeding. Also I would like to know what plants do what as I really enjoyed reading about the veggies that they love to eat and I have convinced my husband to make them their own garden. I ran into a lady at the farm show that was certified organic and loved talking to her, but she had cattle and I need specifics on goats. I have also found huge debates on giving and using Diatomaceous earth and things like that. I hope that someone can help me out, I don't mean to sound redundant, but I would really like to try this, hubby is not so convinced. Thanks ahead of time.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
There are a bunch of us here that are going "as organic as we can" and would be happy to discuss stuff with you! Have you done a search here...the organic section is new, so you might expand your search to see if there are threads on natural husbandry things throughout the forum.

Lots of people going natural on the sister forum, sufficientself, too.

Of course you've also found www.fiascofarm.com, right? Cool site!

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
welcome hgm!

i'll second what free says... the fiascofarm site is a great intro

we use the herbal wormer from Hoeggars and basically send the goat out to free range. our dairy gals get feed on the stand and good quality alfalfa hay.

remember that chicken feed can be bad for goats so make sure, in your planning, that the goaties cant get it to.

spend money on good fencing - we have electric that this has worked best for us.

good luck!

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
if you want to start an organic herd, or at least a nearly organic herd anyway...Selection of your foundation stock is Very Improtant...If you start with animals that were raised in a "commercial system"...you are setting yourself up to fail. These commercial animals have been raised to expect deworming with "nuclear dewormers" and have been bred to thrive when fed pelleted feed...Now you take these animals and expect them to flourish in an organic situation...Its Not Going To Happen....You need to find yourself some stock that comes from an organic herd or at least a well managed herd, then slowly work towards your definition of organic...I wouldn't recomend buying a goat at the auction barn and bringing it home to start it on an organic ration with no medications or dewormers...Better you find a responsible breeder that conforms as nearly to your end goal as possible and buy a couple of animals from him then set up a plan to move towards raising a completely organic herd that fits your definition....JMO...

goodgirlmolly

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Fiasco has been an amazing source of information for me personally.
Very newbie friendly & with great insight into goat behavior especially.
Good luck!