Giant Pink Banana Squash

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
With a hard frost on the way, we picked the squash. Got 25 of them, left the tiny ones. Fed 3 smaller ones to the sheep and 2 damaged ones to the chickens. BJ put these on the porch.

51032B23-A5FE-4B8B-AFA1-5ECD0A067946.jpeg

We picked all the green tomatoes too, even found 3 beautiful ripe ones. Fried green tomatoes tonight! A lot of them look big enough to go ahead and ripen. A lot are just small, I’m going to chop and sauté them in bacon grease for the chickens.

8C29E9CA-FB85-4754-80E3-5F30BBDE9B10.jpeg

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I planted Giant Pink Banana Squash out of curiosity. I wanted to make pies and have something for sheep treats. I had 3 plants. They sprawled out, went over the fence and up a tree. I picked 6 squash, not bad. I made pie and pumpkin bread, delicious! After a hot dry summer, we finally got rain. The vines revived and grew more squash! Lots more! I picked them and brought them in to cure. Made more pumpkin bread.

Would y’all believe the GPBS is going for a THIRD round? There’s probably 10 out there about 15” long and growing every day. Frost is very late this year, but sooner or later it will show up. I don’t think round 3 will mature before frost comes, so I’ve been giving the sheep treats. I chop one up in small pieces and give to the sheep. They love it!

View attachment 79181

View attachment 79182

View attachment 79183

Wow! 😵 Gonna hafta add that to my seed-list! LOVE those veggies that keep goin' 'n I have luck like that with okra 'n tomatos !

thethinkingweasel

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I will share seeds with anybody that wants some. @frustratedearthmother you need to plant these! Lol

I would love to have some seeds! We tried giving our sheep Dickinson pumpkins last year and they turned their noses up. The pigs love them, of course. But it sounds like this variety would work for both!

I will try to figure out how to send a private message, @Baymule....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would love to have some seeds! We tried giving our sheep Dickinson pumpkins last year and they turned their noses up. The pigs love them, of course. But it sounds like this variety would work for both!

I will try to figure out how to send a private message, @Baymule....
I got your PM and will gladly send you seeds!

@Baymule, I’d love some seeds. I have a collection of pumpkins that I feed to the chickens. I’ll have to see if the goats like them. Thanks for offering to share.
Send me a PM with your name and address and I will send you some seeds.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@thethinkingweasel and @bethh i will be getting your seeds in the mail to you soon. These make great snacks for the sheep and yummy pies for us!

@Beekissed i thought about you a few days ago. Some years ago when you had your first sheep, you posted how much they loved frozen, thawed, mushy pumpkins. I had a few GPBS left on the porch that got frozen during our 100 year record breaking below zero cold weather. It warmed up, the squash thawed and was getting mooshy. I remembered your post, so I scooped them up in a wide shovel. They were so mooshy that I had to roll them into the shovel. I gave them to the sheep and they went crazy for that gooshy mooshy squash! They ate every bite.

6978E4FC-8ECF-4FB8-A677-67BA3601EDA5.jpeg

D00B6463-A9C7-4D89-8E76-F6F8F65F448F.jpeg

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
@thethinkingweasel and @bethh i will be getting your seeds in the mail to you soon. These make great snacks for the sheep and yummy pies for us!

@Beekissed i thought about you a few days ago. Some years ago when you had your first sheep, you posted how much they loved frozen, thawed, mushy pumpkins. I had a few GPBS left on the porch that got frozen during our 100 year record breaking below zero cold weather. It warmed up, the squash thawed and was getting mooshy. I remembered your post, so I scooped them up in a wide shovel. They were so mooshy that I had to roll them into the shovel. I gave them to the sheep and they went crazy for that gooshy mooshy squash! They ate every bite.

View attachment 82219

View attachment 82220
Did the same for mine this year and just fed out the last stored squash last week. Funny thing is that the dogs will fight for their share and when it's all said and done you won't find even a tiny smear of that stuff left behind.

The seeds are great dewormers and the squash has more nutrition after the fermentation, so it's all good! They seem to be more palatable to them after the starch conversion as well.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 82219

View attachment 82220
I wonder if our picky goats would like some of our smooshy pumpkins. They were all over the place. The chickens would eat them. Thanks @Baymule for remembering the seeds. Don’t rush. Although I must admit, I’m ready for my gardens to be full.

Latest posts