1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. To geld or not to geld? That is the question
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Gift from the Neighbour

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning, and Raising Calves' started by cjc, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mar 22, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I had lambs eating dirt from fresh gopher mounds. I had some Azomite that I bought to mineralize the soil in the garden, so I offered them some. They licked it right up. It is rock dust from an ancient lava flow, from Utah. I now keep it out for all the sheep. I bought it on Amazon.

http://www.azomite.com/

2. May 17, 2017
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

I know this is an old question, but it's not neccessarily something the calf 'needs' as what it wants. Most sand naturally has a fairly high % of salt content in it (compared to dirt or soil) , as well as other small particles of various minerals. It is not unusual for any bovine to choose to ingest salty substances even if their rumen is full of forage and/or feed, and even if they have salt/mineral available to them in more traditional forms.
    The calf may be eating the sand simply because it likes the taste of the salt or other mineral, whether the calf is deficient in that regard or not.

Goatgirl47 likes this.