Girls are going on a date!

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Taking my 2 Nigerian Dwarf does to be, hopefully, bred tomorrow. Lady I bought them from earlier this year said I could bring them back for rebreeding if they weren't prego. Well, they weren't.

However, I'm worried this attempt won't be successful because I can't tell when these girls are in heat. They don't get loud or wag their tails, they don't mount each other or have any discharge. So I'm skeptical that they'll be accepting of their date's advances tomorrow, much less become pregnant. And I kinda get the impression this is the only "freebie" the previous owner will give. Like, "Hey, we tried. I kept my word. Tough luck if it doesn't pan out."

I guess what I'm wondering...since I've never done this before and feel utterly clueless...is, can they still get pregnant if they're not actively in heat? Should I push for another try if they don't cooperate? How many attempted breeding would you give if you promised pregnant does and it turned out they weren't? I don't want to keep bugging this lady about this and annoy her...I was kinda embarrassed to ask her for this breeding to begin with.

Any advice for tomorrow?

20211107_100022.jpg

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What pretty girls!

No, they will not get breed if they are not in heat. Sometimes does will not show signs of heat when a buck isn't around. I agree, a buck rag would be very helpful to tell when they are in heat, then bring them to the buck for a date. If you don't own your own buck (or can't tell when your does are in heat), it actually seems the easiest to keep your does at the bucks' house for a month. Or maybe you could talk the lady into letting you keep the buck for a month. Stud service really is a hassle! I just bought a buck this summer because of how crazy things get! Another option would be to buy a buck, keep him for a month (or two) then sell him once your girls are bred.

If I promised someone a pregnant doe, I would not care how many times they had to bring them back to get bred, unless of course we've tried like many, many times, then I would assume an issues with the doe or buck. But if it's only your second time bring them back and she promised you them to be pregnant, I wouldn't feel bad.

Hope this helps and best wishes!

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If not cycling, will she keep them until? Cause not gonna happen otherwise. Maybe you could get a buck rag.....take them back when ready.
I'm not sure if she'd keep them until they went into heat. I thought I might ask when we go over but at the same time I feel really awkward about asking. 😬

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What pretty girls!

No, they will not get breed if they are not in heat. Sometimes does will not show signs of heat when a buck isn't around. I agree, a buck rag would be very helpful to tell when they are in heat, then bring them to the buck for a date. If you don't own your own buck (or can't tell when your does are in heat), it actually seems the easiest to keep your does at the bucks' house for a month. Or maybe you could talk the lady into letting you keep the buck for a month. Stud service really is a hassle! I just bought a buck this summer because of how crazy things get! Another option would be to buy a buck, keep him for a month (or two) then sell him once your girls are bred.

If I promised someone a pregnant doe, I would not care how many times they had to bring them back to get bred, unless of course we've tried like many, many times, then I would assume an issues with the doe or buck. But if it's only your second time bring them back and she promised you them to be pregnant, I wouldn't feel bad.

Hope this helps and best wishes!
It was difficult just arranging this one day, I'm not sure if the previous owner would be available if I was to pinpoint their heat with a buck rag. Sounds like I'm making excuses, sigh, but it's hard to get a reading on this lady. I just get the feeling I'm kinda a nuisance but that could just be me, feeling insecure.

So if I take an old washcloth, that could be my buck rag? Keep it in a zip lock bag to hold in the smell?

Yeah, I want to just get our own buck but we're in town (1/3 acre) and I'm not sure if the buck stink would bother the neighbors. I'd resell him after breeding, if he became a neighbor problem, but bucks don't seem to sell very fast here on the Oregon coast. There is a younger buck on Craigslist that I've been eyeballing. 7 or 8 months old. I've read they're not AS stinky when they're younger so maybe I could get away with it?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
As a seller, if I sold a guaranteed bred that wasn't, I'd have NO issue making it happen.
Most of my goats are sold as open but, for years I sold mini horses. Those logistics were far different with travel, time, care but, made it happen if needed!

Goats are much easier. And I'd re-bred as needed if one turned up open. She should, or lend a buck!

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm gonna try to take them over (leaving in a few) but I hate the idea of unnecessary stressing them out. Hoping the lady will let them spend a night or two or three...

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It was difficult just arranging this one day, I'm not sure if the previous owner would be available if I was to pinpoint their heat with a buck rag. Sounds like I'm making excuses, sigh, but it's hard to get a reading on this lady. I just get the feeling I'm kinda a nuisance but that could just be me, feeling insecure.
That's a bummer. Maybe you could just get a refund since your does are not actually bred and try breeding them to a different buck? Sorry she's hard to deal with.
So if I take an old washcloth, that could be my buck rag? Keep it in a zip lock bag to hold in the smell?
Yes, rub an old washcloth on the buck, their front legs, and head seem to be the smelliest places. I would put in two bags (or a in a bag and put the bag in a jar) just to make sure the smell doesn't leak out.
Yeah, I want to just get our own buck but we're in town (1/3 acre) and I'm not sure if the buck stink would bother the neighbors. I'd resell him after breeding, if he became a neighbor problem, but bucks don't seem to sell very fast here on the Oregon coast. There is a younger buck on Craigslist that I've been eyeballing. 7 or 8 months old. I've read they're not AS stinky when they're younger so maybe I could get away with it?
Yeah, it might not be the best idea to get a buck since you live in town - bummer. If you can't get your does bred to the lady's buck I'd definitely get the buck on CL! At that age, they really don't smell bad at all - it (usually) takes a couple years for them to mature and get really stinky. He is also the perfect age for breeding. My 4 month old ND buck is currently breeding my girls. If you do get and use him, you could try selling him at a lower price than what you bought him for. It would be like the same as paying a stud fee for a different buck - make sense?
I'm gonna try to take them over (leaving in a few) but I hate the idea of unnecessary stressing them out. Hoping the lady will let them spend a night or two or three...
Hope it works out this time!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
can they still get pregnant if they're not actively in heat?
Nope

I'm not sure if she'd keep them until they went into heat. I thought I might ask when we go over but at the same time I feel really awkward about asking. 😬
Ask her anyway. Sorry... if she said they were bred, she should hold them until they are bred.

The problem with the CL male is how do you know he is disease free?

And YES, this lady is being a pill.

But... getting the girls bred shouldn't be this hard. The buck rag should help with getting them to show heat.

My Saanen was hard to tell when she was in heat. I found someone that took her for a month, penned her with the buck the entire time.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, they were definitely not in heat.

First time ever smelling buck. He wasn't too bad until we got up close. I was expecting the whole yard to reek.

The lady was actually a lot more pleasant to chat with than I remembered, so that part went well.

Not sure if I made a mistake but...she had a 1 year old Nigerian buck she said I could have for $75 so after calling my husband and getting his thoughts, I bought him. She said if he didn't work out I could return him so I guess it's like we're paying a stud fee (unless we decide to keep him).

He stunk up my van pretty good. Got home and cleaned it out and sprayed it with a deodorizer but...not sure how effective it'll be. I don't want to EVER transport him in my car again! :sick

His smell isn't TOO bad (when not cooped up in a vehicle!) but I'm paranoid that everyone will smell it and complain. Or that my husband will get irritated and complain (though his sniffer isn't as good as mine and he rarely goes outside). And I'm not sure if it's psychosomatic or what, but even after taking a shower I keep thinking I smell buck.

Other issue is, the kids let the dogs out after I EXPRESSLY said NOT to, while I ran to the feed store for grass hay. The buck, who HAD been a little timid but was starting to explore the yard, is now scared and keeps hiding. sigh.

On a positive note, my husband is FINALLY finishing up the fenced area for the goats today, so they won't be able to pee on my porch or knock down our firewood anymore! Buck will also be safe from the dogs.

So, I'm feeling a bit...anxious ...about the new fella but hoping things will adjust and he'll end up being a good decision.

Latest posts