Girls are going on a date!

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Wow, $75 for a buck is a stellar price (for around here anyways)! Can we get a pic of him, please?

Yep, when confined in small places (like a van), their smell can get pretty gross. I don't/won't ever transport bucks in our van. Yuck! Yes, vinegar might help.

And no you're not crazy, it's hard to get buck smell off of you. It takes lots of soap and scrubbing. I try to handle my boys only when needed.

Just give him some time. He's in a completely new place and needs a little time to adjust - I know he'll come around soon, especially with your does.

I agree, make SURE they are bred before getting rid of him (if you ever do). If you haven't already, look up how to tell if a doe has been bred successfully - just because he's mounting doesn't mean he's done the deed. Even after you're sure he did the deed, don't get rid of him quite yet, does can "short cycle" and come into heat around 5-7 days AFTER you saw a successful breeding and will need to be bred again - for some odd reason, lots of people are having that problem this year. Some does might not take in their first heat either so they'll come into heat again (about three weeks later). I would keep the buck for at least a month if not two to be really safe. When you decide to sell him, make sure your does are done coming into heat, and they are no longer interested in him.

Hope this works out for you!

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here he is. Fella has scurs we'll need to keep an eye on and I just realized he has blue eyes.
20211119_145248.jpg

Husband came home and said, "Yup. I can smell him."
But after spending a few hours inside and going back out, I can't. Just smells like normal goat to me. :idunno

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Try vinegar.

Excellent price for a stud fee. Keep him until you KNOW he has "done the job" then sell or return him.
Like vinegar in a spray bottle?
I'll try that tomorrow. 😊

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow, $75 for a buck is a stellar price (for around here anyways)! Can we get a pic of him, please?

Yep, when confined in small places (like a van), their smell can get pretty gross. I don't/won't ever transport bucks in our van. Yuck! Yes, vinegar might help.

And no you're not crazy, it's hard to get buck smell off of you. It takes lots of soap and scrubbing. I try to handle my boys only when needed.

Just give him some time. He's in a completely new place and needs a little time to adjust - I know he'll come around soon, especially with your does.

I agree, make SURE they are bred before getting rid of him (if you ever do). If you haven't already, look up how to tell if a doe has been bred successfully - just because he's mounting doesn't mean he's done the deed. Even after you're sure he did the deed, don't get rid of him quite yet, does can "short cycle" and come into heat around 5-7 days AFTER you saw a successful breeding and will need to be bred again - for some odd reason, lots of people are having that problem this year. Some does might not take in their first heat either so they'll come into heat again (about three weeks later). I would keep the buck for at least a month if not two to be really safe. When you decide to sell him, make sure your does are done coming into heat, and they are no longer interested in him.

Hope this works out for you!
We really need a truck! Then transports like these won't be so 🤢

Thank you for the advice. I figure we'll at least keep him a few months, just to make sure he's done the job, and then evaluate from there.

I tried giving him an apple slice as, you know, a peace offering but he tried to head butt it and I had to tell him "No!". Gonna have to research how to properly train a buck.

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Wowsers! He's one handsome dude! 😍

Yes!! We both need a truck! Transporting hay in a van is a big pain too!

You're welcome! Sounds like a good plan!

Oh boys....why can't they just be nice! 🙄 I have a yearling ND buck who always butts me when I'm keeping him away from my younger buck while he finishes up his grain. The past few days I've been flipping him over and pinning him on the ground (on his back) for about five mins or until he fully relaxes and "surrenders" to me. It might sound kind of harsh, but I know lots of others do it as well. Bucks need to realize that WE are THEIR BOSS - not the other way around. He's actually been better at not butting me the past few days since I've been flipping and pinning him when he butts or shows any aggression to me. I also know a lot of people will carry a squirt gun (or a spray bottle) with them when around their bucks. If the buck shows any sign he is going to butt them or be mean, he'll get sprayed and yelled a stern "No!" so he realizes we don't tolerate that kind of behavior.

Here's a thread on The Goat Spot that might be helpful to you! https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/wether-rearing-up-at-people.223590/#post-2566220 I would also recommend joining there - everyone is incredibly kind, helpful and knowledgeable. I myself am a member there and really enjoy connecting with other goat lovers!

Good luck with your new boy!

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My buck used to pee on me. I learned conditioner was my friend, for some reason it really helps! It will get it out of your hair and it will help get it off your skin too. Honestly can’t remember which one , something cheap because you’ll need a decent amount. Most people didn’t even know I had a buck.
By the way, he’s super pretty!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pretty boy and love the blue eyes. Yes, boys will be boys....not always good. The smell won't be as bad in winter but just wait! 🤣😱. Gets worse. Flipping works for many of those prone to aggression. For me, won't happen! My Nubian is couple hundred pounds of delight. But he was raised from a baby to be tame, by a woman, so super friendly and well mannered for a buck. That said, rut season makes him push right on by you to the prize!

Consider if you DO keep him, you might want a separate pen....especially if you want to milk the girls.

Latest posts