Girls are going on a date!

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
...or get two bucks and use one to cover your originals and one to cover the offspring you unavoidably keep...and then you need another and another and another of the next breed you "try" et c.

When my little guys get lippy I pick them up and carry them around while I do chores. It really freaks out the adult nigerian bucks. That tends to end it for a month or two, even the over bred ones with stuffing for brains. :lol: I have several bucks that either outweigh me or will outweigh me and I MUST be able to walk in the pen when I want or need to and goats learn by example, so I turn those overly macho pint size doe addicts into purse bucks. (Their little legs in the air paddling around their roundy tummies not going anywhere for all the other bucks to see and quake in their little and big hooves while I fill water buckets with their buddy under one arm...):lol: No butting or head rubbing allowed. No sass. (and I'm not that big or tall, they are just small)

But I like my bucks. They are overall less temperamental than the does and like eachother more. However, I had some that pulled hair or tried to pee on me through the fence. Those got sold. "Peeing" on them back through the fence with a garden hose only went so far and I didn't want to do it on a weekly basis. The biter...well, nothing worked so I was fixing to eat him, but someone else wanted him.

All that said you may have no issue with your buck. Some of them just know naturally where to draw the line. Keep those guys. I have one Nigerian right now who is like that, and three standard bucks who also know how to be respectful. Of my current six (three Nigerians, 3 standards) two of the nigerians are either head rubbers/butters or tried to jump me once so they both got "the treatment" and don't seem to keen on doing it again.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How's the new guy settling in, @Genipher ?
He's getting less skittish. This morning when I went to feed everyone, he didn't run off when I got close. In fact, I had to gently nudge him out of the way and he didn't mind me touching him.

I am having an issue, though, with hay. My does and the buck aren't eating the grass hay. In the past I got the girls alfalfa hay and it basically molded in the hay Manger because they refused to eat it. Now I have fresh grass hay and none of them will touch it. Is that normal??

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
He's getting less skittish. This morning when I went to feed everyone, he didn't run off when I got close. In fact, I had to gently nudge him out of the way and he didn't mind me touching him.

I am having an issue, though, with hay. My does and the buck aren't eating the grass hay. In the past I got the girls alfalfa hay and it basically molded in the hay Manger because they refused to eat it. Now I have fresh grass hay and none of them will touch it. Is that normal??
That's good to hear he's getting friendlier!

About the hay.......I find it strange that they didn't like the alfalfa - most goats LOVE it. Goats are pretty picky when it comes to food though. What cutting is the grass hay? Is it soft (not too stemy/coarse)? Does it smell sweet and fresh (if bailed and stored right - it should smell very good)? Or is it musty smelling? Is it mostly green/light green in color? Do you know what kind(s) of grasses are in it? A picture may be helpful as well to see if it's good hay.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's good to hear he's getting friendlier!

About the hay.......I find it strange that they didn't like the alfalfa - most goats LOVE it. Goats are pretty picky when it comes to food though. What cutting is the grass hay? Is it soft (not too stemy/coarse)? Does it smell sweet and fresh (if bailed and stored right - it should smell very good)? Or is it musty smelling? Is it mostly green/light green in color? Do you know what kind(s) of grasses are in it? A picture may be helpful as well to see if it's good hay.
I'll try to get a picture. It's not green. Seems soft to me. Just a basic grass hay from the feed store. 🤷‍♀️

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How much grain are they getting? Are they eating grass or bushes instead?
Weelll...they do get alfalfa pellets. I got that back when I noticed the girls weren't eating hay.
I also feed them COB, cracked corn, BOSS, and occasionally whole oatmeal. Though now that I've got the buck, I was thinking of getting regular goat feed because I'm pretty sure the buck is not supposed to have the corn or COB...right? :hide

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Weelll...they do get alfalfa pellets. I got that back when I noticed the girls weren't eating hay.
I also feed them COB, cracked corn, BOSS, and occasionally whole oatmeal. Though now that I've got the buck, I was thinking of getting regular goat feed because I'm pretty sure the buck is not supposed to have the corn or COB...right? :hide
Sounds like a bunch of feed.... mightbe they just aren't hungry.

Plain old goat pellets are nice... since then you KNOW that they are getting the right stuff in the right ratios.

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I agree with @Alaskan. A lot of grain and they aren't hungry. The hay sounds good.

I'm pretty sure the buck is not supposed to have the corn or COB...right? :hide
Boys can have whatever as long as their diet is properly calcium and phosphorus balanced. I found/heard you don't have to worry about that too much with bucks than you do wethers....I would still be a bit careful though.