Give a goat a pill??

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am worming my girls with Hoeeger's goat wormer. They don't like the taste of it, and quite frankly I don't blame them. It's awful!!!
Is there some way to get it down them besides putting it in their feed?? Thanks....

DonnaBelle

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
For bolus administration, I really can't recommend this bolus gun highly enough. It's fantastic.

Yeah, you can get a cheapo plastic calf balling gun at TSC for $1.99, but the edges of the business end are sharp and scratchy, the hard, slick plastic doesn't hold a pill very well, and...well, it's plastic. My fear is always that a goat's gonna bite down on it and CRACK... Then where are ya?

You're desperately trying to fish half a bolus gun out of a goat's throat, jagged end first...that's where.

And that ain't no place to be. :th

The one from Valley is stainless steel with a flexible, rubberyish (word?) head. The inside of the tube head is juuuust tacky enough that pills tend to hang in there...which is good, considering they need to defy gravity long enough for you to get it good and rammed down their throat.

Sure, it's 10x the price of a plastic one, but my personal opinion is that it's about 100x better -- and since it's stainless steel, it's most likely the last balling gun you'll ever need to buy.

To me, it's a bargain when you look at it that way..