Giving goats cydectin

chels24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
After taking fecal samples to my vet he recomended that I give my goats cycectin orally 5cc for 35lbs and under and 10cc for over 35. I have boers but this sounds like too much wormer. I was thinking 1cc per 10lbs was more normal. So does anyone else think this is too much or is that about normal? Also does anyone give it to pregnant does?

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't give 10ml of Cydectin to a 36lb goat, personally, even if it was the sheep drench version, which is 1/2 strength of the pour-on..

When I was using Cydectin pour-on as a drench -- which I don't do anymore -- my dosage was 1ml/20-25lb of goat, with 6ml being my general 'adult' dose..

The sheep drench, on the other hand, is 1/2 strength of the pour-on...so, 1ml/10lb would be about right for that..

Even if we're talking about the drench version, though, 10ml in a 36lb kid is about 2.8ml/10lb.... If you extrapolated that dosage out to a 150lb doe, you'd be drenching her with 42ml...

Sounds pretty nutz to me...but that's just me, and I'm not a vet.

FlightsofFancy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was told by another producer to follow package dosage.
So... 5ml per 110# OR 1ml per 22#

Cydectin is in my rotation of wormers and I love it! My herd has been parasite free for over 2 years!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
FlightsofFancy said:
I was told by another producer to follow package dosage.
So... 5ml per 110# OR 1ml per 22#

Cydectin is in my rotation of wormers and I love it! My herd has been parasite free for over 2 years!
Parasite free, or free of serious parasite problems?

I ask because parasite free isn't even a goal I shoot for at this point...I just shoot for slick coats and pink eye membranes. So long as I can keep that up, I'm happy.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
Parasite free, or free of serious parasite problems?

I ask because parasite free isn't even a goal I shoot for at this point...I just shoot for slick coats and pink eye membranes. So long as I can keep that up, I'm happy.
You should start shooting higher. Clean fecals should be your goal.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
By your own admission, your goats are on drylot, eating from bales and sacks. Sorry, but it's no real feat to get a clean fecal when you run goats like that.

In fact, if you couldn't manage a clean fecal egg count from a goat on a drylot, I'd be concerned that you had some sort of mutant worm on your hands.. Worms need wet grass to hatch in....no grass = no worms.

Frankly, I wouldn't buy a goat from a truly worm-free herd... In their natural habitat, goats need to carry some worms to stimulate their natural immunity to worms.. If I brought a goat which had never seen a worm into the real world of grass and leaves.....yikes.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll take a thrifty, slick coated goat with pink eye membranes and a few worms over that any day of the week..

FlightsofFancy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am parasite free! AND I am very proud of it. Yes, I toot my own horn because that hasn't always been the case. I have worked very hard to educate myself on the parasite protocols, the RX used and I rotate my goats pasture. I do monthly fecals on my herd and I rotate my wormers. I learned the hard way that the eye membrane test is a waste of MY time because by the time they are anemic enough to be pale they are in serious trouble. Every Vet I have spoken to has stated that. Maybe it works for others.
So for me Cydectin, Valbazen and Ivermec on a strict rotation works for me.
I must say that I am a big supporter of all natural goating and living for that matter, but when you put as much heart, energy and money into goats as I have....rolling the parasite dice is not an risk I am willing to take. I love to hear of different ways to handle parasites. Different locals have different issues. It's all fascinating. ;) I will always have an open ear for it, but for now I am sticking to my protocol because it's works for me.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Goats in lots/pens have a HIGHER incidence of parasitism...especially in wet, hot climates. So, yes, us Georgians - pastured OR penned...we toot our horns for our healthy goats, and scoff at the FAMANCHA scale as we watch fellow producers who use it loose goats to worm induced anemia year by year.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't run my goats on a dry lot and they have acres and acres of pasture. The last fecal tests I had the Vet run to double check my tests elicited a response from him, and I quote: "In the 35 years of treating goats, this is the CLEANEST sample I have ever seen. Whatever you are doing, you're doing it right." :cool: I'm pretty proud of that.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
helmstead said:
Goats in lots/pens have a HIGHER incidence of parasitism...especially in wet, hot climates.
Don't forget increased incidence of respiratory illness and coccidiosis, either.. You're right, though....penned goats don't generally do as well.

helmstead said:
So, yes, us Georgians - pastured OR penned...we toot our horns for our healthy goats, and scoff at the FAMACHA scale as we watch fellow producers who use it loose goats to worm induced anemia year by year. Oh...wait...they're building a resistant herd, I forgot...silly me.
Though I know several of the kinds of producers you're talking about, you'll be happy -- no, wait...you'll probably be really disappointed to know that I've never lost a goat to worms. Never even close, in fact.

I've never lost one to coccidiosis, either.

Latest posts