Glowing eyes, take two

Do you see glowing eyes when a minimal amount of light hits an animal that is facing you?

• Total voters

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
There may be a degree of night blindness with them. Joyce sees reflection too. It is a tremendous help when driving, scanning the sides in front and off to the sides can prevent an encounter with deer, pronghorn, elk, and cows just to name a few that can do considerable damage. I really miss being in a truck, because the range of sight is much greater than sitting in a lower vehicle. I can't list all that I've seen because traveling at 70-90mph sometimes all ya are able to see are the reflective Eyes in the edges beyond the headlights. This includes Bighorn in Co, and Pronghorn in Wy. I did have a close call in SD with a big pronghorn Buck that was dead in the middle of the road, I was able to react soon enough to avoid an ugly situation, because there would've been some real Damage had I not missed it...was really Glad to have Jake brakes I tell ya.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I see my sheep's eyes glow green, when I head out with the flashlight after dark. It's a bit weird, before the sheep get close enough to see them, to have all these glowing green eyes coming towards you...

I've seen a reflection of small eyes closer to the ground, which I assumed were likely raccoons.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep I see it too, even though I have less than stellar night vision. Little glowing goatie eyes are funny. I've never seen glowing piggie eyes. I wonder if theirs don't, or I haven't been in the right place at the right time.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Funny you asked Bruce- I was watching a video about cats and they mentioned this... I found the video forwarded and am posting the info ...
Cats eyes can see ultraviolet light which they use to track urine they also have this-tapetum lucidum but they lose their binocular vision up close though at night.

The tapetum lucidum is a biologic reflector system that is a common feature in the eyes of vertebrates. It normally functions to provide the light-sensitive retinal cells with a second opportunity for photon-photoreceptor stimulation, thereby enhancing visual sensitivity at low light levels.

Spotlighting will point out those animals with a tapetum. Foxes and rabbits eyes glow red; many felids (cats) exhibit a greenish shine; raccoons have yellowish eyeshine; bullfrogs show green. Most owls show red eyeshine. “By their eyes ye shall know them,” although not everyone agrees on the color for each species.

Some animals shine differently depending on the color light, and depending on the angle of the light source. Feral hogs do not reflect well with white light but do very well with green or red.

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I do see the glow when animals or people, for that matter are photographed but not outside at night. I do not have good night vision. Once I went outside when the dogs was raising cain in the house and I could feel and hear many somethings rushing around me. I imagine it was probably a herd of deer but quiet scary until I made it back in the house. The dogs did not go out.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
@lcertuche I take it you had no light with you if you couldn't see the animals rushing around you? I'm not asking about seeing reflection with no light source emanating from the viewer's general direction. I don't see anything in those circumstances either.

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, I know it wasn't smart to go outside without a flashlight. I'm not nearly that brave these days.