Goat abortions?

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is more common than you’d think. No judgement here Ive had my fair share of whoopsie babies. How old are the kids and how far along are they?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
One born late Jan, one born in feb...and two kids born in late Jan that I can’t get to tinkle for me. I do the P-test. We got our buck on 3/23...we gave the shot last night

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If the kids were born Jan and Feb, and you didn't get the male until March, they probably didn't even get bred until April or May so won't be very far along. They carry 5 months right? So probably aren't more than 2 months or so. Not a big deal, the fetus will be very small at that point. They will slip it, you might see some blood on their tails. They will exhibit signs of heat shortly thereafter so just make sure the buck can't get anywhere near them again.
Had a heifer that came in heat while still nursing the cow, got bred and calved at about 17 - 18 months. It happens.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes @chickens really , my tiny kids got bred...and we are a mess..a calf died, after having the vet out...a mini piglet is very sick and will probably die...we are a mess. So, yes, we got tge medication...because...I will not lose my kids....it might seem horrible...but my kids mean everything to me. Chris is beating himself up...it was both of our faults..but it’s too late now..we have to move ahead, with the reality. The vet said they will probably still be able to be bred. They will most likely be fine. I’m getting up every two hours to feed the piglet...out to the barn. The medicine is supposed to work within 24-48 hrs...we gave it at 9 pm..on tues night..nothing yet. Chris was supposed to go for a wonderful day to a ca4 swap meet on Friday..he hasn’t left the farm in ages! Now he probably won’t be able to go. The calf had pneumonia...the vet told us wha5 to do..but it was jus5 too late. Chris was walking Charlie on a lead, the other calf last night...I said...why does Charlie get a walk? Meaning, why not the goats...he said..because Mike can’t go....We are just soooo torn up. Once again..we are just ba$ farmers..not meant to accept loss. We have been snipping at each other tge last few days...but, it’s the stress. The other piglets are thankfully drinking from a bowl...making a HUGE MESS!😩🤣🐷. Last time, the6 were on water..now we have a plastic tarp down, and I have to put sheets around the crates when we feed them because there is milk flying everywhere!! The6 fight ove4 it...😩😩😩😩.
ok..enough farm drama...thanks @farmerjan ...for tge comforting words....we weren’t sure how big the unborn kids would be? I keep .....checking ligaments...
it’s good to know that this won’t be near as dramatic as I’m thinking? I’ve got all my kidding suppliesin the barn...picturing, of course, the worst.

Thanks, everyone..for the support..as ALWAYS ON BYH!!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes @chickens really , my tiny kids got bred...and we are a mess..a calf died, after having the vet out...a mini piglet is very sick and will probably die...we are a mess. So, yes, we got tge medication...because...I will not lose my kids....it might seem horrible...but my kids mean everything to me. Chris is beating himself up...it was both of our faults..but it’s too late now..we have to move ahead, with the reality. The vet said they will probably still be able to be bred. They will most likely be fine. I’m getting up every two hours to feed the piglet...out to the barn. The medicine is supposed to work within 24-48 hrs...we gave it at 9 pm..on tues night..nothing yet. Chris was supposed to go for a wonderful day to a ca4 swap meet on Friday..he hasn’t left the farm in ages! Now he probably won’t be able to go. The calf had pneumonia...the vet told us wha5 to do..but it was jus5 too late. Chris was walking Charlie on a lead, the other calf last night...I said...why does Charlie get a walk? Meaning, why not the goats...he said..because Mike can’t go....We are just soooo torn up. Once again..we are just ba$ farmers..not meant to accept loss. We have been snipping at each other tge last few days...but, it’s the stress. The other piglets are thankfully drinking from a bowl...making a HUGE MESS!😩🤣🐷. Last time, the6 were on water..now we have a plastic tarp down, and I have to put sheets around the crates when we feed them because there is milk flying everywhere!! The6 fight ove4 it...😩😩😩😩.
ok..enough farm drama...thanks @farmerjan ...for tge comforting words....we weren’t sure how big the unborn kids would be? I keep checking ligaments...

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
@rachels.haven ...I did see the vet...she’s the one that gave us the estruts? Shot stuff. I called her today, because at 9 pm...it will be 48 hrs....she said we can then give a steroid. This is why we chose to do it in the middle of the week, so I could get the vet here....plus, it was as fast as I found out that they were both pregnant. I’ll keep you posted.

Latest posts