Goat adopting 2 week old kid?

Jaime

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I recently had a goat pass a premi stillborn kid a week ago. I had her separate from the herd two days after that to let her recover and then put her back in the herd with everyone else. Two and a half weeks ago her sister had quads, (one didn't make it) She seems to have been making enough for all three but i've noticed that her biggest boy hasn't been spending much time with her and has been looking skinnier lately. Just yesterday i saw the little boy hanging out with the goat who had recently miscarried but thought nothing of it, She normally doesn't tolerate kids around her but she seemed to be tolerating him. I've been milking her out since she's producing milk, just not much. And this morning when i went to milk her out she had absolutely nothing in her udder! The kid was now only hanging out with her all the time instead of his mom and siblings. I just caught him nursing from the doe and i'm just totally shocked! is this normal? He was completely attached to his actual mother and still nursed from her for almost three weeks but now he doesn't want anything to do with her. The other doe now acts like she's his mother, She's lick his tail when nursing or call him over to nurse, and butts all the other kids away if they try to come up to her while nursing. Has anyone had this happen to them before?

Here's a picture of mama and her quads
IMG_8719.JPG

And her sister who had miscarried letting the boy in
the front of the pic above nurse.
IMG-3528.JPG

IMG-3527.JPG

Last edited:

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I recently had a goat pass a premi stillborn kid a week ago. I had her separate from the herd two days after that to let her recover and then put her back in the herd with everyone else. Two and a half weeks ago her sister had quads, (one didn't make it) She seems to have been making enough for all three but i've noticed that her biggest boy hasn't been spending much time with her and has been looking skinnier lately. Just yesterday i saw the little boy hanging out with the goat who had recently miscarried but thought nothing of it, She normally doesn't tolerate kids around her but she seemed to be tolerating him. I've been milking her out since she's producing milk, just not much. And this morning when i went to milk her out she had absolutely nothing in her udder! The kid was now only hanging out with her all the time instead of his mom and siblings. I just caught him nursing from the doe and i'm just totally shocked! is this normal? He was completely attached to his actual mother and still nursed from her for almost three weeks but now he doesn't want anything to do with her. The other doe now acts like she's his mother, She's lick his tail when nursing or call him over to nurse, and butts all the other kids away if they try to come up to her while nursing. Has anyone had this happen to them before?

Here's a picture of mama and her quads
View attachment 74104
And her sister who had miscarried letting the boy in
the front of the pic above nurse.
View attachment 74105
View attachment 74106

Mother nature is a beautiful thing, let the boy nurse from the goat, everyone will be happy and healthy :love
It's normal, ...sounds like he is going to be a smart little guy !

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wasn't a goat but was a older beef cow that lost her calf. A young Heifer calved but didn't want anything to do with it. The experienced Cow cleaned the baby off and stole it for her own baby.
The mother instinct is definitely awesome in animals.