Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oleander sorry phone keeps correcting me like it knows what i want to say. Anyways they apparently cut down the bushes and left the stumps or remains stick up above the ground and she stepped on them while outside bare foot and the toxins from the plant killed her. Their toxin or poison attacks your cardiovascular system i for get the exact name of their toxin.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are very popular as a landscaping shrub in desert type dry climates. Just have to know that they are very poisonous and the poison can be absorbed through the skin in some cases.

Jessica C

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Around here we have azaleas galore. My property used to be part of a Tung oil farm, and that plant is highly prolific and toxic. Saplings are constantly springing up and I kill them when I see them, but the goats haven’t eaten them, as far as I’ve seen. Otherwise we have pine trees and the goats love to eat the needles.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Azaleas and Rhododendrons are very poisonous. Goats usually don't have a problem with being poisoned by shrubbery because of the way they graze. They nibble a bit here and a bit there as the move around foraging. I think they would only be poisoned if they had nothing else to eat and hat to eat the poisonous shrubs. On the other hand, DH hates highly toxic shrubs. Having eradicated the Oleanders, he has waged war against the Castor beans as they come up each year down in the gully. He finally almost has them under control.