Goat advice

Caprine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Starting off: I want to get goats. For milking and/or pets. The problem with milk goats is obviously you need to breed them to keep the milk coming, and I'm not sure what I'd do with extra kids, especially since I don't want them butchered. I can't turn a kid into chevon! Anyway, I have my sights set on Nigerian Dwarfs, Nubians, and Saanens. Any tips or insight about these breeds? Also, what kind of fencing would you recommend? And I've seen that the minimum size requirements are twenty square feet per goat in the shelter, and two-hundred in the pasture. I can't donate a very large amount of land to goats, so comments on this would be nice. I just want two to four, would getting pygmies or dwarfs offset this? I also would like ANY other helpful information about goats. I barely know anything about them.
I know this is way too many questions for one thread, but oh well. Thanks for reading!

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just have pet goats. My containment pen is a 10x10 dog run with a dog house for my two older goats. Covered the top with a tarp plus it's chainlink on the top. I have a goat yard built for daytime entertainment and high fences. Certain goats are jumpers and others will crawl out.
My other goat pen is chicken coop. 8X12 shed with an 8X12 run.
I let my goats out daily to graze my yard and pasture. Leash trained and dog collars. They drag long leashes behind them.
In order to have milk you have to breed and sell the kids.

Caprine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. What kinds, if any, predators do you have to worry about when they're out? Obviously there's bears and coyotes, but those are fairly nocturnal. We don't get many bears around here anyway. But you can hear the coyotes howling at night... :D =D

Caprine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That would definitely be correct. A while ago I came back to my house to find our neighbor's dog attacking my chickens. When confronted, they said it couldn't be their dog as it doesn't leave their land. But if I see it on my property again, an airsoft gun won't kill it, and it couldn't be their dog, after all. But yeah, any others?

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have 5 goats, and one of them is a doe. They are all Nigerian Dwarfs. 4 of them are wethers(castrated males). Depending of the type of goat you want(nubian, nigerian dwarf, or saanen), you want them to have hay, place to sleep at night and where you can lock them up at night, and a pasture. You also want to clean their water everyday since they are picky animals. And you want to feed them hay, grain, hay or pasture, pasture, or hay, grain, and pasture all combined. Again depending of breed you want, you have to trim their hooves every 3-6 months. Also you have to give them shots, black oil sunflower seeds, minerals ALWAYS, and baking soda ALWAYS!!!! Good luck on getting your goats!

Oh also, if you are getting does, and you want your own buck(male goat) keep him away from your girls!!! THEY WILL BREED THROUGH A FENCE!!!!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may want to start your goat adventure with two wethers.... Less food requirements , no hormonal issues to deal with and they make great pets.....
I have had both nigerian dwarfs and full sized nubians, size does matter...the Nigerians are quite and take up less space....if it's your first time, go for the little guys :love
And post your pictures for us :)...please..:highfive:

Caprine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I want more than one goat, so they wouldn't be lonely. But I also want milk, just one goat for that. So would a doe and a wether work for that, or should I get two does and just breed one?

Caprine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Also, does anyone have any experience with Nigerian/Nubian and Nigerian/Saanen hybrids? Or know the butterfat content of either's milk?

Latest posts