Goat and cat

Lisahux

Just born
Reaction score
My bottle baby (ND with small horns) HATES our cats. She goes after them and pins them if she can and hooks them with her horns. If I yell in time, she jumps and kicks and pretends she is not going after them but I am worried she is going to hurt them.

Has anyone successfully broken this habit or do you have suggestions to help break it? I have tried introducing her to the cats and showing her they are friends but I think she may be jealous of them.

nuthatched

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I think you're going have to get physical with the goat to teach it better manners.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You could get her a friend to play with. Goats hate being alone and like “attacking” each other for the fun of it. It might get out some of her energy. You can use a spray bottle on her too. Goats hate water and it might break her.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats are hardwired to dislike predators; this might be a war you never really win. Most of my goats just stood and stared at any cat, dog, fox, whatever that walked where they could see it, but my herd matriarch, Esme, would attack on sight. She had apparently appointed herself as the protector of the barnyard, and she would do her best to drive off any predator that dared to enter that space.

ancient

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Lol, I had a bottle sheep 2 years now(one each year). And both tried to stomp on the cats. I think cats are way quicker and can get up high so they just learn to stay away

Lisahux

Just born
Reaction score
You could get her a friend to play with. Goats hate being alone and like “attacking” each other for the fun of it. It might get out some of her energy. You can use a spray bottle on her too. Goats hate water and it might break her.
I have 4 goats. The rest are friendly with the kittens but Lily hates them.

Lisahux

Just born
Reaction score
Lol, I had a bottle sheep 2 years now(one each year). And both tried to stomp on the cats. I think cats are way quicker and can get up high so they just learn to stay away
You would think...

I take all 4 goats out for a walk twice a day and the dogs and cats follow. The kittens seem to love the goats and my other three are interested in her and sniff and play with her but my little Lily won't stop going after them and the one kitten just sits there despite being rammed against a tree...