Goat and newborns breathing fast

Keeper of insanity

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@Youngfarmer2019 we are actually trying to stay with water related names! When we got Rainy we also got her sister and named her Dewdrop. But unfortunately she got bloat and died. Rainy got bloated too but not as bad and we were able to get her back to healthy. Idk why, I was told it could be the feed (never bought it again and threw away what I had) or that I fed them too much at once. So I adjusted that as well…anyway, when we got Rusty we wanted to stay with water theme..and he’s rusty colored and his bleat is Rusty sounding😁so😄
As for the kids they are Ripple and Misty. My children wanted to name the first girl Rainbow but my youngest said she was expecting the first girl to be more colorful🥰so we settled on Misty. As for Ripple, while we were on Labor watch one of my sons and I were sitting there watching the kids do somersaults in her belly. And my son said if it’s a boy we should name him Ripple since he’s making ripples on Rainy☺️
We’re corny🤣 And I do believe one will be called stormy in the future (We’re actually looking and considering a grey buck😉) and I really like Baran😁That’s definitely going to get used😁thanks!

Keeper of insanity

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@Baymule I never once felt criticized by your post🥰🥰 I was encouraged and educated🥰thank you for caring enough to post your experience🙏

@Mini Horses Thank you!!

All of y’all are more help than you realize! I feel more confident taking care of my goats now than I did a month ago. And I owe that confidence to y’all’s help🙏🥰

I wish I could buy y’all a coffee and pick your brains🙏 but until then I am thankful y’all are here and willing to help a newbie who will always be learning🙏

Keeper of insanity

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Keep it milked....may take several days. The little pigsters will start using it so both can nurse at once. 😊

I have a doe named Brat....as a baby, she was!!
Milk it every 2-3hrs?
Also I hate to toss it, is freezing it ok? How do I keep hair from getting in it🤦🏼‍♀️Shave her?🤔

I love her name! I have nicknamed ours butthead and monster…because they are🤣

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, like twice a day. Keeping it close to other side in size is all your doing. You strain it once inside. You can buy such material, I do because I use so much....but, a coffee filter or cheese cloth works ok. Yes, you can freeze...or use 😊. Tastes better after the 3rd or 4th day after birthing...colostrum is out.

I have a stainless strainer with holes in bottom funnel part, I use filters over that. My girls aren't as hairy....but occasional. If using machine, nothing as it's going teat in tube to container. You're not there yet. 🤣

Keeper of insanity

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@Mini Horses thank you! I milked her again a little bit ago, because she was looking engorged again…and I believe she appreciated it🥰 it was feeling a bit warm and looking red😬 I’m trying to just treat her like I did myself when I breastfed🤷🏼‍♀️ but I could make the baby nurse from the side I wanted them to🤷🏼‍♀️ those kids are stubborn.

The girl is pretty good at nursing…I’m getting kinda worried the boy isn’t getting as much🤷🏼‍♀️ but I’m going to have to figure out how to weigh him…I see him occasionally nurse and I have seen him pee a few times…but he’s not as heavy feeling as she is.

These kids are harder than human newborns🤣

@canesisters Thats how I had it. Kinda concentrated in one area, and they could move to a cooler area if they wanted…

My mother came over today to see them, she said it was warm in there. And reminded me that I’m cold all the time and that it was near 50 degrees and I had two layers on😬🤷🏼‍♀️

So I took the last lamp out…it is going to drop into the 20’s tonight. I’m going to do a late night check and if I observe that they’re cold, I’m thinking maybe a sweater? Unless they’re very cold then I’m bringing the heat back…🤦🏼‍♀️

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Freeze the colostrum, you may have a newborn that needs it.

Freeze the milk, if y’all don’t drink it, use it for cooking.

You are doing great with your first goat kids!

Keeper of insanity

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Update: tonight the shed was comfortable. No heat lamps. Kids were warm and cozy feeling. I milked Rainy just a bit and then Ripple came over and wanted to nurse! And I guess he just wanted to show me he was doing just fine! He nursed longer than I’ve seen either one of them nurse. And then a few minutes after he was done, Misty came to nurse. Both sides feel the same tonight. Hopefully they take turns on both sides🙏But I’ll be out first thing in the morning to check (🤣we all know I’ll be out there in a couple hours to do a temp check, & a breathing check, & an udder check…& whatever else needs to be checked)

What milk I got tonight I strained through some coffee filters and heated it to 160*F. Then put it in fridge to cool…I read online in different ‘recipes’ to heat it anywhere between 70-180… and some that just said strain it and stick it in the fridge to enjoy cold🤔not sure I’m quite that brave yet…
Any more advice on temp/prep?

My mother said when she was younger her grandmother gave her milk straight from the goat🤣I said no, I’ve seen too much these past few days to be drinking straight from Rainy’s teats🤣