Goat appetite first day after delivery

Georgia Girl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would put the doe in a milking stantion (sp?) get the milk going, then put the kids on the teats. Hold them there if needed to make sure that their bellies get full.

As needed...repeat the above... hopefully by the third round everything will be fine, and no more intervention will be needed.
If they don't empty her bag should I milk her out to keep her producing?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they don't empty her bag should I milk her out to keep her producing?
If they don't empty her....is that because she is a really high producer?

Or is that because the kids aren't eating as much as they should?

I would work at filling up those kids.

If she is a high producer, and you want her to produce enough milk for you and the kids, then yes you could empty her out after you know the kids are full.

You might want to keep the milk from this first week, since it will be richer and heavy in colostrum (depending on how fast she transitions to "regular" milk) either on hand in case you do need to bottle feed the kids... or freeze it for later possible emergencies.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Newborns nurse for very short intervals, but often.
They are probably doing like they are supposed to.
They will not "empty" her udder. Plus, there is edema in the udder for a few weeks after birth.
It wouldn't hurt to get her on a stand and milk some out and offer a bottle to them. I wouldn't milk her all the way.
Save the colostrum, you can freeze it.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
It will be a while before they can keep up with her if she is a good producer. A few days after birth we do usually milk ours to keep up production.

Georgia Girl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She is ok and eating well, little ones are jumping about and sucking frequently, there is so much I have to learn as a newbie. I read every night trying to learn. thanks to all. What I think about this site, there is always someone to respond to almost all posts and it really helps those of us that are not experienced.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
She is ok and eating well, little ones are jumping about and sucking frequently,
Great news. Her milk production will become appropriate to the number/size/appetite of the kids within a few days. Did you milk her out at all?

Birth is a tiring process. The ewe I described in a thread I called 'A Huge Pair"....apologies for the tasteless title....is a big, fit 3 year old who had 2 huge twins. Both she and they were very lethargic for 48 hours, sleeping most of the time, and eating/drinking poorly. Her udder was vast. They are now bouncing around in the field and that udder looks normal-sized (and well used!).

Animals vary so much in the post-natal period. Some are lively, some tired. Huge udders, small udders. Great mothers, 'clingy' offspring, poor mothers, 'detached' offspring......but most survive and thrive. We do all the worrying for them!

SO glad to hear they are doing well. Now, where are the pics.?