Goat Arthritis?

LittleGreenBarn

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a similar issue that I am remedying with an arthritis and joint supplement from Fias Co Farms ( which is working in my case after a month of treatment). I have a doe that is 2 years old that started minding her front right leg, waving it in the air and leg is stiff in the mornings, and would limp all day. Now it is only in the mornings she is a little stiff but no waving or day long limping.

We tested her for CAE which was negative, and her X-RAYS came back clear. I was treating her with Rimadyl (prescribed by the vet) and would crush and mix into a drench, with no avail.

This has been ongoing for 6 months and and the vet could find no explanation, but in your case (which sounds a bit similar), you should take Jimmy to the vet or have one come out to do an examination and to rule out CAE and other possible illness or injuries. That way you will know how to treat.

I still have no diagnosis, but she is MUCH more comfortable and still the long reigning herd queen.

Hope this helped.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
He might be boron deficient. A teaspoon or two of borax in a watering dish and free feed baking soda might help.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Boron is a mineral. Sometimes when goats don’t have enough of it their joints become stiff. Borax is used for cleaning and is usually considered toxic for animals, that’s why you have to only give a teaspoon or two (depending on your goats size) in water. My goats have several watering buckets so that they can choose to drink the borax or not. I also forgot to mention only give it every other week. As I said, it’s toxic to animals in too high of a dose so be really careful with it.
Free feed just means as a constant supply of baking soda.
Good luck with your goats.

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
KIMG0200.JPG
Here are my "Totes MaGoats". Jimmy is the brown one and Snickerdoodle is the "calico". I have a crappy camera on my phone... You can't really see her brown. But Jimmy gets his brown. I think my phone chose favorites

Attachments

• KIMG0200.JPG
    KIMG0200.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 171

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
The way your goat moves may have nothing to do with any deficiency - it may simply be the way he is built. Straight shoulders, posty rear legs - all contribute to how the goat moves. If he's not in any distress, as in limping, I would simply accept that this is how he is. Give him sufficient feed and a good mineral supplement and he should be fine. I have seen small goats, pygmies and nigerians, that swing their legs out when they are running. It's not indicative of anything being wrong with the goat - it's just how they are.

If a vet or goat owner can see the goat move it might ease your mind or indicate if there is a bad problem.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks y'all! Should I medicate first or check in with the vet first?
Totally up to you. If you feel safer to get him checked over and ask what to do then call the vet. I don’t really have a reliable farm vet near me so I’ve had to figure out how to treat my goats without one.

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The way your goat moves may have nothing to do with any deficiency - it may simply be the way he is built. Straight shoulders, posty rear legs - all contribute to how the goat moves. If he's not in any distress, as in limping, I would simply accept that this is how he is. Give him sufficient feed and a good mineral supplement and he should be fine. I have seen small goats, pygmies and nigerians, that swing their legs out when they are running. It's not indicative of anything being wrong with the goat - it's just how they are.

If a vet or goat owner can see the goat move it might ease your mind or indicate if there is a bad problem.
Maybe it is just Jimmy. Just in case I will try to see what our vet thinks

Latest posts