GOAT ATE CHICKEN FEED WHAT DO I DO?

Taylormfoster12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello. Today my goat nocked over the box of chicken feed and it spilled all over he started eating I don't know how much he ate but it doesn't seem that he ate alot. He's a 4 month boar goat. I've allready given him Tums gas x and baking soda. I've also pressed on his stummac to release any gas that was trapped within him. If that doesn't work I don't know what else I would do. I really don't want him to suffer and die. Any ideas? Please answer quickly

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The goal here is to dilute, buffer, and move contents out. The grain will mess up the pH of the rumen and it will go acidic. Chicken feed is grain.

A goat's rumen is about 5 gallons and to "fix" this you need to buffer the acidity caused by the grain overload and a little dose of baking soda or pepto isn't going to do it. You need to drench him with 1/2 cup of baking soda in 1 GALLON of water or electrolytes, make sure that there is no sugar of any kind in the electrolytes. You can probably do a little less since this is young goat and not an adult. Another option is a large bottle of pepto and the electrolytes everyday for 3-4 days. Milk of magnesia instead of pepto will work too. Also treat with Pen G, Probiotics, and Banamine. Heffenweisen beer, flat and warm, is a great probiotic.

Taylormfoster12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Alright so I left him over night with baking soda lots of water. I also like I said pressed on his stummac. This helped. This morning I saw his stummac not as bloated he seems to be in the right side. He is significantly better and acting normal. I will ever two weeks give him a tablet of gas x or Tums to make sure. He's acting normal but I'll make sure when I come back.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Alright so I left him over night with baking soda lots of water. I also like I said pressed on his stummac. This helped. This morning I saw his stummac not as bloated he seems to be in the right side. He is significantly better and acting normal. I will ever two weeks give him a tablet of gas x or Tums to make sure. He's acting normal but I'll make sure when I come back.

How big is the box of chicken feed? It sounds like he didnt get to much. If he is fine tomorrow I would say you're all good.

Taylormfoster12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok. So for those of you who don't know yet. Yesterday while I was gone my goat knocked over a box of chicken feed. Who knows how much he ate but it didn't seem alot. Last night I gave him a bowl of baking soda, lots of water, 2 Tums, and one gas-x. I also before we left him I pressed on his belly a couple times to let out any gas that was trapped. This morning he seems significantly better and is once again acting like he's always been. If you've had the same problem that I had try doing this of course I may not be as experienced as some people though. Also, my goat isn't the same goat as yours or anyone else. So I'm not sure how your goat will react to this. So before you do this do a little bit more research. On the right is my 4 month old trouble maker goat to the right and my 1 1/2 year old goat to the left. Please make sure any harmful things are away from your goats. They WILL eat anything. Hope this helped .

Attachments

• 15379162814781220017030.jpg
    15379162814781220017030.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 372

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad that is he doing well. A lot depends on how much they eat. I had a goat help herself to some calf manna a few years ago and she was very very sick for almost a week and another friend lost 3 of his goats just a few months ago from eating chicken feed. The thing about just putting out baking soda is that it is quite possible that they won't touch it. Drenching them is the only way an owner can be certain that the goat is getting what they need.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have had our goats get into chicken feed, shell corn, grain, pig starter, and pig N sow. We lost 1 nigerian buck from it but other then that we have been lucky. Seems no matter where or how we store our feed something is getting into it.

In the barn,pigs gets loose and eat it......in a stall in the barn, goats broke the gate....in a stall in the barn in a wooden box, goats jumped the wall using a wheel barrow....outside the barn, goats jumped the fence........keep it in the garage, Ivy the notorious fence jumper helps herself and shows phoebe how to jump the fence. I'm starting to think we need a safe just to keep the feed safe.

I'm glad your goat turned out ok :thumbsup

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
For the goats I only feed in the dairy on the milk stand so they would have to open doors. The chicken feed is in a trash can in a very secure coop, goats have no access at all. No other livestock here so we are good. But before the extensive dairy remodel I used to have kids go through the pop door of the coop to access the feed. Had to put a separate fence around the coop with hot wire.