GOAT ATE CHICKEN FEED WHAT DO I DO?

Taylormfoster12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have had our goats get into chicken feed, shell corn, grain, pig starter, and pig N sow. We lost 1 nigerian buck from it but other then that we have been lucky. Seems no matter where or how we store our feed something is getting into it.

In the barn,pigs gets loose and eat it......in a stall in the barn, goats broke the gate....in a stall in the barn in a wooden box, goats jumped the wall using a wheel barrow....outside the barn, goats jumped the fence........keep it in the garage, Ivy the notorious fence jumper helps herself and shows phoebe how to jump the fence. I'm starting to think we need a safe just to keep the feed safe.

I'm glad your goat turned out ok :thumbsup
We just moved to another state from Texas and the house bought has 20 acres and a barn shelter and a barn. Before this I kept all my Feed in storage boxes in the barn but once he got in that food I moved it to a separate room in the barn it helped alot

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What kind of chicken feed was it? It will only kill them if it is egg layer or raw soybeans. Otherwise it will bloat him if he ate too much or give him a bad belly ache.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I use to feed chicken feed to my dairy goats when I ran out of goat feed never had a problem. That's kinda interesting why does it make them sick

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It only makes them sick if they are not used to eating it. Just as when you have to monitor they on lush spring pasture that they have not ate over the winter. You have to start out slowly. I feed my chickens, ducks and goats the same feed. Goat feed, sweet feed, corn, 13-way scratch, oats, rice, alfalfa-oat pellets, and sometimes pig feed all in a mix. Never had a problem and get plenty of eggs. I have 6 pygmy goats and 35 chickens.

Taylormfoster12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I use to feed chicken feed to my dairy goats when I ran out of goat feed never had a problem. That's kinda interesting why does it make them sick
Well goats and chicken feed are like dogs and chocolate. It could make them sick and they could possibly die. There has been instances where someone's goat has literally died screaming in pain because of the pressure of the bloatedness. Idk if this is true but I'd rather treat it right away than just give them a night or two to see how they feel.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If there is a bloat problem from to much feed or the wrong feed you generally know within a couple hours no need to wait a day or two to see if there is going to be a problem or not. If they are up and active your probly fine, if 24hrs goes by and they look all normal there is no need to treat more and treating them more with antacid that they dont need could actually cause problems with their digestion so becarful with the gas-x and such.

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have had our goats get into chicken feed, shell corn, grain, pig starter, and pig N sow. We lost 1 nigerian buck from it but other then that we have been lucky. Seems no matter where or how we store our feed something is getting into it.

In the barn,pigs gets loose and eat it......in a stall in the barn, goats broke the gate....in a stall in the barn in a wooden box, goats jumped the wall using a wheel barrow....outside the barn, goats jumped the fence........keep it in the garage, Ivy the notorious fence jumper helps herself and shows phoebe how to jump the fence. I'm starting to think we need a safe just to keep the feed safe.

I'm glad your goat turned out ok :thumbsup
There are feed storage boxes (often marketed to horse owners) that lock. I would get one of those - not even goats can open a combination lock!

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Don' know what to think . Want to laugh but this isn't funny. My animal person who is also my wife says .Use a very large needle and insert in in the stomach to relieve the pressure . :idunno I keep mineral oil on hand for critters that get belly aches .I am also pretty good at tube feeding .Since most all feeds are made with plant products . And more animal protein than they want to own up to . At least when I feed a whole grain I know what I'm feeding . They can hide all kinds of things in pellets .Depending on what part of the world you live in , animal feed could be almost anything .Someone recently told me corn will cause kidney stones in billy goats and wethers . I Would like to know why , they could not give me a answer. Is there a medical answer to this question ? I know people who feed whole shell corn to their goats with no problems . I also knew people that fed pelleted rice by products to their goats and everything else . With no problems .I found it to be an excellent feed for older horses with bad teeth .But really any feed that is finely ground and pelleted is better for older animals . Check ingredients in your feeds. could be the little goat just ate to much.
master meat goat info.JPG
This Dr. is giving a seminar some tine this month . They say she is really good .Going to try to register tomorrow . Cost $175.00 only can send one of us DW most likely :idunno

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Someone recently told me corn will cause kidney stones in billy goats and wethers . I Would like to know why , they could not give me a answer. Is there a medical answer to this question ?
Yes corn can do it as well as other feed such as cereal grains and even pelleted feed. It is especially common in wethers. There are three major types of urinary calculi. They come from too much calcium, phosphate, or silica. There is a way to keep from it though.
  • Always make sure to let buck get to 3 months of age before castrating. Castrating too early does not allow the urethra to fully develop.
  • The calcium: phosphorus ratio in feed should be 2:1.
  • Alfalfa and legume hay are high in calcium, try not to feed them too often.
  • Make sure they get plenty of water especially in winter when water keep freezing.
  • Give plenty salt.
  • Add Ammonium chloride to make up 1% of dry matter in diet. This reduce pH of urine.
  • Avoid molasses use sugar instead.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's a balancing act but BOSS, pumpkin seeds, oats, etc. contain higher phosphorus and can be feed to help balance calcium in legumes. Yes, you can puncture for gas relief but, ONLY in a specific place...and use a large sterile needle or device made for this. Best if done by vet or someone trained in where/how as the procedure can allow bacteria into the body cavity and into the rumen. It is a "last-ditch" effort which generally is used only in severe situations.