Goat ate chicken food!! Help!

Virginia

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My Nigerian dwarf whether got into the chicken area and gorged on chicken food (medicated chicken starter). I'm not sure how much but his abdomen was noticeably distended. What should I do? I've read that chicken food can be toxic to goats.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's not so much that it's toxic, per se...it's just not right for goats. My opinion is that your biggest risk right now is bloat, simply because your wether gorged on free-choice grain. A situation like this is really no less serious if they gorge on goat feed instead of chicken feed.

Now, he may or may not bloat depending on how much of it he got. If it were me, I'd probably keep a really close eye on him and massage around on his rumen.. If his left side started to get high and tight, or if he started stretching his neck or grinding his teeth or displaying any other signs of discomfort, I'd drench him with a few ounces of mineral or vegetable oil and continue massaging.. I wouldn't let him lie down, either...we'd be walking around, if he were mine.

Or...you could just drench him now. It all depends on how distended he looks and feels, and I'm not there. If you're not sure, call a vet!

As for the oil... Some say not to use vegetable oil because it adds to the load of an already-overloaded digestive system; some say not to use mineral oil because they can't taste it and many not know to swallow, which could cause them to aspirate. That's your call. I'd probably use canola because I can remember where it is right this second, and because -- to my thinking -- a few ounces of that are a drop in the bucket compared to bloat.

Also, if you treat for bloat, it's wise to go ahead and also treat preventatively for enterotoxemia with C&D anti-toxin. If the GI stops moving, bacteria called Cl. Perfringens types C & D can "bloom" and begin producing toxins...you don't want that, either.

Describe "noticeably distended" for us, if you would..?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
My sheep pop into the hen house every chance they get and steal laying mash....they don't get enough to get foundered but they definitely come out of there with "coke" noses! :rolleyes:

Hasn't seemed to harm them.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
My sheep pop into the hen house every chance they get and steal laying mash....they don't get enough to get foundered but they definitely come out of there with "coke" noses! :rolleyes:

Hasn't seemed to harm them.
I've learned that sheep and goats are quite a bit different. Chicken feed for goats is a very big no no as it throws off their PH and things go haywire.

Blon Dalone

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It turns the males into serial killers and flips the females into instant menopause. It also makes them dance.

Blon Dalone

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry.......Crown Royal.......I actually would like to know the answer as to why it's bad for them. Even if it's not medicated feed? What if it's not chicken crumbles but just chicken scratch?

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
alot of chicken feed will contain RAM - Restricted Animal Material. Basically, proteins derived from animal protein, meat, blood or bone meal etc. because chickens are omnivores they benefit from a bit of animal protein in the diet, pigs are the same. but the animal protein will burn out the goats liver and kidneys, and also it is illegal to feed RAM to ruminants because of the health hazards to people, so all of that is #1 reason not to feed chicken feed to ruminants.

#2 reason is the medication - most of the time for coccidiosis, and although usually it is the same stuff which is needed for goats (goats benefit from coccidiostat too) sometimes it is formulated differently for chickens and may have additives/whatnot which dont get along well with the goats

#3 reason is the mineral/vitamin composition of chicken feed - and this is why the 'dont feed goats chicken feed' rule applies to grain only scratch mixes as well as other chicken feeds. simply put, a chicken's mineral/vitamin needs are very different to the needs of a goat, and the feed is formulated especially to meet the needs of the chickens, but it will not be what the goat requires.

Latest posts