Goat babies are home! Just wondering if this looks like fishtail or am I being a helicopter goat mom

Miranda Kurucz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm struggling to upload photos to the forum so here is a link to an album: https://imgur.com/gallery/ntwNF

Wondering if I need to look into copper deficiency in these boys? Originally thought that the brown goat was red/gold/brown mix as his dad his red/gold but now I'm wondering if he's chocolate and sun bleached looking.

Here are their tails and butts. 10.5 weeks old Nigerian dwarf goats.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think the coats look a wee bit "rough" and that may be making the tail look "fishy".

Do you know if the boys have had minerals? Loose minerals for goats include copper but not all goat minerals are the same. You want to have at least 1750 ppm listed in the analysis on the bag. Loose minerals, not a block which can hurt their teeth, should be available to your goats all the time.

I'd start with the loose minerals before wrestling with the boys to give them a copper bolus.

It might take a couple weeks to see any improvement, if you still think they need something try granulated kelp. I've seen a big improvement in my goats coat with kelp.

Taint no such thing as a helicopter goatie mom. You are just doing your job... and keep it up!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Doesn't look like fishtail signs to me. The coats are a little rough, color is mostly pretty good. The one is a gold color, the other is a chocolate. Once you get them on a good loose mineral and good quality feeding program, you will most likely see smoother, slightly darker hair grow in under the fluff, but I wouldn't be worried about a copper insufficiency yet if these kids were here in my backyard and we do have copper issues here.

Miranda Kurucz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think the coats look a wee bit "rough" and that may be making the tail look "fishy".

Do you know if the boys have had minerals? Loose minerals for goats include copper but not all goat minerals are the same. You want to have at least 1750 ppm listed in the analysis on the bag. Loose minerals, not a block which can hurt their teeth, should be available to your goats all the time.

I'd start with the loose minerals before wrestling with the boys to give them a copper bolus.

It might take a couple weeks to see any improvement, if you still think they need something try granulated kelp. I've seen a big improvement in my goats coat with kelp.

Taint no such thing as a helicopter goatie mom. You are just doing your job... and keep it up!

They do have loose minerals, and a block. The minerals are both cattle ones and I ordered a bag of Manna Pro from Jeffers Pet (I expected that I would find goat specific minerals in the city when I picked them up but I was very wrong... 7 farm feed stores later lol). My Jeffers Pet order should get here this week (I'm in Northern BC so it was 1.5 - 2 weeks even on a RUSH)

They have loose salt, loose baking soda, and an orchard grass hay. They aren't getting any browse yet .. but I am doing store bought goat milk 3 times a day about 2-3 ounces.

But I have only had the boys nearly 2 weeks now.

Miranda Kurucz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Doesn't look like fishtail signs to me. The coats are a little rough, color is mostly pretty good. The one is a gold color, the other is a chocolate. Once you get them on a good loose mineral and good quality feeding program, you will most likely see smoother, slightly darker hair grow in under the fluff, but I wouldn't be worried about a copper insufficiency yet if these kids were here in my backyard and we do have copper issues here.
Hahaha Okay!!

I was just being a little worried ... and wanted to make sure!

Yup Gold and Chocolate boys! They are both so personable, snuggly, and sweet. I am so smitten and waaaaay too worried about making sure they make it to a loooong ripe old age :p