Goat balls on the small side??

Mcboo

Just born
Reaction score
Hi all!

Long time page lurker, first time member/poster! 😂

Thoughts on this 9 month old buckling? His testicles are almost non-existent. I reached out to the breeder for help, as this is my first time breeding, and shared a picture of one of hers about the same age. My guy doesn’t even compare!

He’s been in with my older doe since late September. I noticed Monday that she was back in heat. He shows interest, tries to mount her, does the throw the head back, etc. but I don’t think she is taking.

78F57D6D-E96D-4A73-B2EA-AB22E79E0EB3.jpeg
FB9434C4-C222-4885-94BE-C9DE8F428107.jpeg

Mcboo

Just born
Reaction score
He had both, but
DC3D7559-D916-4C45-A0FA-6026DDDA5C3B.jpeg
01D03BA5-31CE-4486-8CDA-D53309B8FE76.jpeg
I feel like they were bigger. And there is something there, it’s just very small. ☹️

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
As pointed out, possibly retained....so not a breeder. Or he has been castrated with an emasculator. In that case a small scrotal bag sometimes remains and no sperm. The gonads shrink. That's what I'd guess with this guy -- one of those two options.

I've see very little retention in goats. Horses, more often. If retained body heat nullifies the sperm.

We're guessing from your description and pictures. But convincing pictures. What breed? Looks to be a smaller type, maybe a ND? well, they're usually well endowed.

Mcboo

Just born
Reaction score
He is a fainter.

It’s so hard to get decent pictures, because there isn’t much there, and thanks to daylight savings it’s dark by the time I get home. ☹️

Thanks all for the input. I had kind of suspected what y’all said. I have reached out to the breeder who has been helpful. I am going to call my vet in the am to get his opinion too.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If he was sold to you as a breeder then they should stand behind him. One of the things in cattle is the scrotal size is measured and recorded when a bull is sold for breeding and most all also have a breeding soundness exam (BSE) done to guarantee they are fertile. I understand that smaller mammals, like goats and sheep, don't usually have one done..... but every sheep and goat I have ever seen that was an intact male, the testicles are very pronounced. In any breed.
Have the vet check him out. At this point, it seems that even if he has a set, they are infertile and you will need to see what the breeder will do to resolve the situation.
Honestly, I see nothing there to indicate it is an intact male...

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Was he sold to you as an intact male? I'd agree with @Mini Horses - kind of looks like he's been Burdizzo'd. Either way - if you bought him as a breeding male then the breeder should make it right.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi all!

Long time page lurker, first time member/poster! 😂

Thoughts on this 9 month old buckling? His testicles are almost non-existent. I reached out to the breeder for help, as this is my first time breeding, and shared a picture of one of hers about the same age. My guy doesn’t even compare!

He’s been in with my older doe since late September. I noticed Monday that she was back in heat. He shows interest, tries to mount her, does the throw the head back, etc. but I don’t think she is taking.

View attachment 94959View attachment 94960
Where are you located? Maybe you can use a breeder nearby to get your does bred while looking for a fertile buckling…I agree with everyone, looks like the work of a burdizzo to me, almost nonexistent if he is still intact and almost definitely infertile unfortunately…

Latest posts