Goat Barn Design **Diagram Added Pg2

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
3140_jan_2011_090.jpg

trying to figure out this image thing. this is an image of the bracket we attach to the board.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wow, i am impressed with myself, i figured it out.

here are a few more images, should i be uploading these pics in the smaller setting?

We don't have our kidding pens set up yet, but it doesn't take a lot of imagination to figure out you can put these panels together in triangles or rectangles. we use large eye hooks on the feeder to attach them to fronts of feeders. the important step is to off set your brackets so when you are putting panels together the brackets are not side by side, but rather on top of each other. [
3140_jan_2011_096.jpg

3140_jan_2011_095.jpg

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wow, those images really helped me. I think I'll go with 5 x 5 like helmstead said and use the brackets like 20kidsonhill pictured. That way I can take them down later. I plan on running the roof line out for a covered porch, a must in GA heat.

ETA:
I really like this one

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7sUU9MYwUjo/Smm-h-sYtUI/AAAAAAAAFaM/Q8zPNKBJsHo/s1600-h/100_3272.JPG

from this website
http://cedarfieldfarm.blogspot.com/

But won't the goats eat the wood? I love the little dog eared fence panel. Cute.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Where we live, in rural SW Oklahoma, there are too many predators to do anything but lock all the livestock, with the exception of the horses, in tight at night.

We have a barn that can be locked up tight at night, it has windows but we have tightly woven wire over them.

DonnaBelle

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
right now we have the boards attached to the feeders to keep the head does from beating up on the more timid does. REallly helps with feeding grain. Of course they can still come around the board, but it seems to slow them down some and helps the more timid does feel braver about coming up to the feeder to get grain.

We can also in a pinch just attach an end board and have an emergency pen, incase we need to seperate a couple younger does that just can't handle being in with the big does.

as far as eating the wood, we haven't had a problem with this, the feeders and boards are near 10 years old. But our goats are very rarely closed up in the barn.

When kidding is done we attach some of the boards together to make a creep feeding pen for the kids. At one end we attach a special gate that my DH made. It works great. With rebarb rods that can be pulled out to ajust the size of the slot for the kids. When I get a chance I will post a pic of it.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
wow, i am impressed with myself, i figured it out.

here are a few more images, should i be uploading these pics in the smaller setting?

We don't have our kidding pens set up yet, but it doesn't take a lot of imagination to figure out you can put these panels together in triangles or rectangles. we use large eye hooks on the feeder to attach them to fronts of feeders. the important step is to off set your brackets so when you are putting panels together the brackets are not side by side, but rather on top of each other. [http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/3140_jan_2011_096.jpg

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/3140_jan_2011_095.jpg
Great! Thanks! But what is on the other end? How do you do the doors? How do you attach the other end of the boards? Sorry! I'm not very imaginative today!

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I tell you what, if you can hang in there until this weekend, I will post pics of a couple pens put together, since I don't have my pens actually put up yet. That is this weekends plans.

In these pics there is nothing on the end of the board, they are just coming out from the feeder as dividing walls.

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Okay current plans and ready to order metal

12 x 15

2467_goatbarn.jpg

Open for suggestions.

Thanks, Melissa

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Sweet!

So you'll be able to feed from the feed rm/milking parlor area? The more goats you get, you will find that amt of space for the feeder to be inadequate (boss hoss will shoo his/her lil minions away from the feeder all together). So you might consider feeding through a cattle panel with the feed trough hung outside the fence.

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, hopefully I won't be "feeding" all of them from the feeder. I will feed grain on the stand, right? I will build a hay bale holder for inside the barn, may be two as I add to my herd.