Goat beginner here, need help, non emergency

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So im not sure if this is the right section, but i need help. My mom MIGHT get me a goat (yippee) and I need to know EVERYTHING! what to feed them, if tey need suppelments, EVERYTHING! So, help!!!!

I dont know what BREED, other then i want a friendly goat, I dont think we can sell the milk and we dont like it, so i don care much for it

Should i get a kid or adult? And should i get a wether or doe? (i dont care what you say im not getting a buck....wether is like a castrated buck, right?)

I feel so dumb :gig :hide

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
First off, you would need 2 not 1. Goats are herd animals. And, yes, you would want 2 does, 2 wethers, or a doe & a wether. Goats like to browse which means they prefer reaching into bushes & low branches of trees to eat rather than grazing on grass. They will probably need hay unless you have a lot of browse. They may or may not need grain if you are keeping dry does & wethers. They will need loose minerals & access to fresh clean water.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Check out the Frequently Asked Questions on the top of the Index page of the Forum Main. Many of your questions are answered there. There are also additional information such as fencing, shelter or emergency kit to keep on hands for your new pets. Knowing the basic care and recognizing illnesses and what to do are also part of raising goats.
I am new to goats also and will be getting my first goats next weekend. I am getting two wethers. I could have gotten two does or one of each. It just happened that I found two wethers I like. Mine are Boers. They will be quite large too. I like their looks and size. I love their floppy ears. Maybe you should start with where you will keep them and how much space you have. What kind of shelter can you provide. Some small goats can fit into big dog houses and don't need a lot of space and definitely don't eat as much.
I am sure you'll get better and more helpful suggestions than I have here. Good Luck!

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cathoula ~ Thanks but im using the sights Elevan said

Elevan ~ Thanks, ill check those out! and changed my title :)

Thats ~ Thanks, ill tell my mom,

Eliya Sage

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey, i'm not sure what you already now, so i'll just give some tips.
I recommend a pet goat being the Pygmy goat. You should get a buckling, and get it fixed to become a wether. Also, you should NEVER get one goat, you need two or more. I know with other animals sometimes a social animal does ok with being solitary, goats are not one of those creatures. They need a constant partner and playmate. Otherwise they will become severely depressed and LOUD. Don't take my word for it, you are welcome to look up what happens when someone buys just one goat. They are extremely loud, they will call out for a friend :'(

I hate to be so harsh, but buying a goat that'll be alone is honestly animal abuse. You cannot be the only one that plays with it, and you cannot guarantee you can be with them 24/7.
The only reasons people ever say they can't get two are:

Q-"What if it won't play with me if it already has a playmate?"
A-Not at all the case. My two pet pygmies love me as if i where a goat. They will see you as part of their herd.
Q:"I don't have time for two goats."
A: If you don't have time for two, you don't have time for one. Having two adds little to no extra work.
Q: "Won't two be louder than having one?"
A: Nope. Having one will guarantee a loud goat. Having two will keep each other at ease when your away.

I go to my local farmers feed & seed, i buy sweet feed purina chow, i give them both about a half a cup each. (If you don't end up buying pygmies, that feed measurement changes)

Pygmies are known as the most common pet goat breed.
Wethers tend to be the best pet goat you can get.
-Does (females) get cranky as they age.
+Does tend to be sassy and dainty, =Very cute.
-Bucks (males) get extremely aggressive during breeding season, plus they smell awful.
+They grow beards that look pretty cute :3
-Wethers may play-headbutt. it's not aggressive though, it's pure play, and when they do it with me, their extremely careful and don't do it hard, i always put my hand up and push their horns to simulate a headbutt. But, some people tend to stray from wethers, just because they headbutt. Unless you get psycho crazed wether, or he wasn't properly "fixed", you shouldn't worry.
+Wethers tend to be the most playful, goofiest, snuggliest, best pet goat.

Also, if you get a pygmy, they eat MUCH less than bigger breeds.

Having a decent yard with lots for them to forage for is a Must.

Waking up early; If you have them outside (highly recommended), and you have them locked in their shelter over night (highly recommended), then the absolute latest you should let them out is 8:30. They wake up when the sun wake sup, so be prepared to make that work. Even if you wake up that time everyday for school, keep in mind; SuMmEr BrEaK. No sleeping in. if you can take naps, thats cool, but if you live in a cold place, waking up, going out into the cold first thing, sometimes it's hard to go back inside and go back to sleep. If you need them, take naps. Even on summer break.

Keep in mind, Are you going to college soon? Goats live a long time, and if you live on campus, that means your mom takes care of your goats full time. Is She ok with that?

~Shelters
A sturdy shelter is required. It can be anywhere from for wooden posts and a metal roof top, to an elaborate series of barns. I have, basically, a big dog house. It has four walls and plastic roof panels from home depot. The front has latches that keep it closed, but opens up like a food truck window, used for when i'm replacing the hay. Then it has a smaller door with a latch on top, hinges on the bottom, and when unlocked, makes a door with a ramp. Keep the main goat-door a few inches off the ground for when it rains.

Neighbors...
Face it, if you have neighbors close by, they will hear your goats, before you get your new goats, check with your neighbors, make sure sound isn't an issue.

Used Straw-
When you clean out your shelter, you can use the dirty straw for fertilizer for your plants, or you can spread it out across the goat pen to encourage new plants to grow that your goats and forage for.

Hay, And Straw.
Knowing the difference is not an option. Hay is what they eat, its green and bendy. Straw is what you use for bedding. It's yellow and hard.

Depending on what stores you have and where you live, the type of hay you buy and the prices differ.
I buy orchard grass, a combination of orchard grass and timothy hay. Can't beat it. That price total for me is $8.34 per bale, it is a large bale though.

I probably left out a bunch, but i may have filled some questions in for you, hopefully.
I'm excited for you about getting goats! As much time/responsibility/energy, they take, they are well worth it.
Wish you luck!:celebrate:thumbsup:clap:woot:weee:woot:clap:thumbsup:celebrate
~Keep us posted!

So im not sure if this is the right section, but i need help. My mom MIGHT get me a goat (yippee) and I need to know EVERYTHING! what to feed them, if tey need suppelments, EVERYTHING! So, help!!!!

I dont know what BREED, other then i want a friendly goat, I dont think we can sell the milk and we dont like it, so i don care much for it

Should i get a kid or adult? And should i get a wether or doe? (i dont care what you say im not getting a buck....wether is like a castrated buck, right?)

I feel so dumb :gig :hide

Last edited: