Goat Berries Galore

Emalin

Just born
Reaction score
I’m fairly new to goats. Have two Nubian does in a large area that has had goats for 10 years & llamas 10 years before that. There is not a living thing left in there—just dry dirt—and being in the desert, poop doesn’t break down very quickly. Despite its size, the pen is just covered in berries. It doesn’t stink, but I want to clean it up & compost the droppings. So my question: How do you pick up masses of these rollie pollie poops? I’ve tried fine tine pitch fork, shovel...Shovel works but I’ll be down to bedrock soon if I have to remove that much dirt with each cleaning. Is there some device I don’t know about? Help. After I get the poop under control I’ll start restoring vegetation in rotating quadrants of the pen.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome......from western central Florida!!....:frow
Well ya can get a shop vac...or a litter scoop...or stretch a piece of 1/4" piece of hardware cloth on the backside of your pitchfork and use it as a scoop....or ya could till the area and let it compost right where it is, tho watering it would be beneficial, it would depend how scarce it might be there...:)