Goat Bloat

frmrgrl685

Just born
Reaction score
I have a 2 month old that keeps getting bloated, I think. Her left side bulges out or she looks fat on both sides. She eats hay and pasture grass. I stopped giving her grains about 4 days ago. She has free choice minerals and backing soda. She is otherwise healthy, eats great (non stop), poop is normal1stlictire is today, he left bulge was huge, I just massaged it and it down. This is from today.
20230530_154908.jpg
20230530_154326.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is the natural expansion of the rumen. Goats and sheep eat until basically they have a full belly, go lay down to ruminate, or cough up a wad, chew their cud, and swallow it back down to continue digestion.

Your goat down not have bloat.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
A lot of times real bloat will cause the rumen to be high more than wide - if that makes sense. The rumen might be level with the back bone or even higher and it will be tight - really, really tight like a drum. The goat will be miserable. You want a big healthy rumen on a goat!

frmrgrl685

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you so much, I belng to a couple FB groups and they had me so stressed and worried. She isn't in and pain or in any distress. She runs and plays with her sister and climbs all over me. I am a first time goat mama, I bottle fed her and am very attached to her and her sister. This really makes me happy to hear!!