Goat Cleanliness and Feeding Struggles

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is an old post I know.

My first thought would be why on earth would they bother doing the work of walking around the pasture when you are giving them hay, high fiber hay, chaffhaye, alfalfa pellets, and grain? Nix everything but the grain on the stand and a small amount of hay at night in the barn stall. That will cut down on the poop/pee in the stall as well. If there is pasture to eat I wouldnt give them any other food in the pasture, they will go eat pasture which will save you money for feed/hay, time cleaning the shed and save the life of your wood floor. It's also a lot more healthy for them to eat pasture and move around, helps with parasites/worms too.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was also going to say to cut the grain in the pasture, just because I’ve learned to cut grain..period. I suppose I don’t have near the issue with the urine because we went for cherry hardwood floors...and I had no clue that it would make such a difference..so I guess I’ll need to thank my husband! Also, I was going to say, that I do turn up the bedding daily.. I take out the poop and urine spots..and actually reuse it for my ducks. Ducks destro bedding in minutes..so I repurpose it. Plus, the waste the goats don’t eat, I throw where they sleep. It’s cold and frozen here, so past is not an option..so hay is a must at all times. But, it is what is...goats are pricey. I keep my feed in Rubbermaid totes. Never have issues with mice or bugs, and my hubby made me shelves in my grain room to take up less space. I feed mostly alfalfa pellets and oats right now...but I was just on a six part..BOSS, soybean meal, beet pulp, oats, pellets and a tiny bit of sweet feed. But they are both pregnant so I cut back so the kids aren’t too big. Alfalfa hay is hard to come by and expensive here. They usually get more mixed grasses and Timothy...which they much prefer. My goats don’t like alfalfa..I supppose it’s just because it’s rare around here. But it’s best for them so offered first and most...but it’s $9 and we have to drive 38 miles one way to get it. I like the idea of bleaching thinks once they get stinky...do you use a diluted bleach with water in a spray bottle? I use white vinegar for my other animals for safety on regular basis...but if bleach is allowed... great info!!

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Cement floor?
Also, where are you located so we can get a feel for the climate?
Cement floor sounds nice. Im kinda imagining about having a long hose, and a canal, and when its not that cold, i can just hose everything through the canal.. easy peasy!!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cement floor sounds nice. Im kinda imagining about having a long hose, and a canal, and when its not that cold, i can just hose everything through the canal.. easy peasy!!

I've seen some of those in european barns, we want to do the same for our pig barn when it gets built. The ones I have seen simply have a shallow channel(more like a V then a channel) that runs along the back wall thru all the stalls the length of the barn then at either end there is a small opening to outside. They can powerwash the stalls with water or whatever cleaner/disinfectant they want.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've seen some of those in european barns, we want to do the same for our pig barn when it gets built. The ones I have seen simply have a shallow channel(more like a V then a channel) that runs along the back wall thru all the stalls the length of the barn then at either end there is a small opening to outside. They can powerwash the stalls with water or whatever cleaner/disinfectant they want.
That's exactly what i mean.. And I know the goats and pigs dont mind having a bath while we're cleaning up.. :D:D:D

Latest posts