Goat Coughing

JeepGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My 1.5yo buck has been coughing for about 3 weeks.
It's NOT lungworm and it's NOT pneumonia so I'm looking for other suggestions.

Temp normal, blood count normal (RBC, WBC and platelet), no runny nose or leaking eyes.

Any ideas?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why do you think it is not lungworm?
A Baermann's Float is very inaccurate so even if one was done and it was negative doesn't ,mean it was. If it is marshy and or you have snails around there is a good possibility.

What is your barn like?

But this would be my first guess....
He could very well have something lodged- seedheads can get stuck and cause irritation and the coughing is a symptom of trying to get it out.
You don't have your location in your status which can be helpful for identifying issues.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
He could also have a cough. :) Goats can cough without having pneumonia or lung worm and it anyone can tell me why I would love to know. Perhaps it is pneumonia with no symptoms IDK. I do know that a round of oxytetracycline has stopped it and a yearly pneumonia vaccine has prevented it from returning. They never run a fever or act sick...just a cough.

JeepGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm in Eastern TN
Barn is large and dry, not very dusty.
Not a marshy area...field with good drainage.
Goats usually stay in the barn until around 12pm so they don't see a lot of the morning slugs.

When the coughing began the Vet advised to dose with ivermectin, which I did 2x 10 days apart, today wouldve been 10 days since the second dose but theres been no improvement,
now vet seems to think something other than lungworm.... that's why I'm asking for other suggestions.

Then today I actually found him throwing up (well, spewing massive amounts of cud) all over the place.
Idk if that's a separate issue or he got choked or what.

So much going on with him I just don't know what to do.

JeepGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
And he's usually (not always, but usually) ok until he starts moving/running/flirting with the girls....then the coughing becomes downright incapacitating

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have lungworm where I live but I seem to recall that Ivermectin is not the best drug for lungworm in goats but it is used in cattle and sheep. Everything I read suggest injectable Levamisole for goats so maybe try that.

JeepGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok. I'll check into all of that.
No selenium given...with it being the Christmas weekend, plus is being so far from everything, it's been hard to get what we need.

Not sure about his heart other than my vet saying everything sounded fine heart&lung wise.
He's not doing too well today. Just standing in the barn not eating or moving.
He will drink water when I bring it to him, more than he usually drinks.
Very worried about my boy.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
He is peeing ok? This has nothing to do with coughing but I always think Urinary Calculi when a wether/buck is not feeling well.