Goat Coughing

purewhite

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I have a one year dairy goat (though never been bred yet) who developed a cough that has never gone away. She doesn't act sick. She runs and jumps like she always has. Nor has she been contagious to the other goat. Why is she coughing?

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m not sure, it’s hard to diagnose over the internet. Is it possible it is allergies? I have goats who get runny noses and teary eyes every pollen season. Something to keep an eye on perhaps?

caprines.n.me

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I had a vet tell me once - "goats cough." Guess he was tired of me coming in with "sick" goats with no other symptoms. But, like was said already, it could be allergies. It could be dust. It "could" be lung worms. Fecals don't always catch 'em. If the goat looks good, carrying decent weight and has a decent hair coat she's probably fine.

purewhite

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I’m not sure, it’s hard to diagnose over the internet. Is it possible it is allergies? I have goats who get runny noses and teary eyes every pollen season. Something to keep an eye on perhaps?
I doubt it is allergies since she has been having this through every season. Unless she is allergic to cedar trees. We are surrounded by those.

purewhite

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I had a vet tell me once - "goats cough." Guess he was tired of me coming in with "sick" goats with no other symptoms. But, like was said already, it could be allergies. It could be dust. It "could" be lung worms. Fecals don't always catch 'em. If the goat looks good, carrying decent weight and has a decent hair coat she's probably fine.
What are lung worms?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Worms that live in and destroy lungs. Have you dewormed her? Not bred, good time to do...if lungworms it will eliminate them, using correct meds. If that doesn't stop coughing....back to prob allergies.

purewhite

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Worms that live in and destroy lungs. Have you dewormed her? Not bred, good time to do...if lungworms it will eliminate them, using correct meds. If that doesn't stop coughing....back to prob allergies.
I understand there are different kinds of dewormers. Which one would you recommend?

caprines.n.me

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Valbazen is a good drug to use for lungworms. But, it is a wormer you don't want to use on a pregnant goat.