goat covered in bumps

Tammy 0132

Herd lurker
Reaction score
One of our young wethers was covered in bumps this morning. He otherwise seems perfectly healthy and happy. Does anyone have an idea of what might have caused this?
IMG_1944.JPG

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
They look like fly bites. Possibly ant bites if he laid in a nest.

Bad year it seems for everyone with flies, ants, spiders... ugggg

Get some fly spray and spray him to keep more off

Tammy 0132

Herd lurker
Reaction score
None of his pasture mates have any bumps. Ants are a possibility. I thought it looked hives from a reaction to something. Do goats get hives?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
It could definitely be a reaction. Our Nubian doeling definitely got bit up by something the other day... the rest of the doelings- nothing....

Has it cleared up? You can give benedryl but you'll have to ask your vet for dosage... I have no idea what it is. We gave it once for something but can't remember what the dosage was.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Zamia got covered like that this year
We couldn't figure out what it was because no one else was affected and it didn't really seem to bother her

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
if he were at my house i'd say either fire ants or seed ticks. seed ticks are tiny and you will have to look closely to see if it is. had a doeling this spring lay on a fire ant nest and she looked like that.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX! So glad you joined us. Sorry your goat having that bump issue brought you to us. I hope you'll consider taking a minute to visit the new member's thread and introduce yourself so folks can welcome you properly. https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/new-member-introductions.17/

There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

robhuncor

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
One of our young wethers was covered in bumps this morning. He otherwise seems perfectly healthy and happy. Does anyone have an idea of what might have caused this?View attachment 50532
It looks like hives. The horses get them too for various reasons. Reaction to eating a plant in the pasture, getting into nettles or even a high fever can cause them. The vet gives a steroid shot and they usually resolve right away. Just make sure his airway is not swollen and obstructed.

Latest posts