Goat Diet

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are in Kansas you may want to look up and see what Dairy goat clubs are in your area. I am sure you will find some beautiful Nubians to pick from. Also kidding season is getting underway for many and it will be a good time to look.

Ember Kinsch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Okay, that is perfect! I am in Kansas, so where would I have to look for dairy goat clubs? One of my friends has been extremely kind and told me that I could take one of her doelings that is expected to be born in spring. I plan to pick it up this summer.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Southern by choice, post: 587603, member: 6771
This is my advice, clearly yours is different. So what. I recommend what I do (testing) because I see the devastation from these things. [/QUOTE]

I wasn't giving advice. You were. I have kind of moved away from doing that on this forum. I really don't have the time. I'll leave that to you. You must have the time for it and it's something you seem to enjoy doing.

And I would have not made any comment at all about your advice to only buy from tested herds. CAE, Johnnes, and CL. Nothing wrong with your advice.

I only made a comment because you said that people who don't test for CL don't because they "make excuses".

Clearly, that term "make excuses" has very negative tone to it.

You know that I don't test for CL, never have and as long as I don't have a case of CL in my herd I never will. I'm not even going to get into why. I don't have to explain myself.

But, when you said that you were in effect directing the comment at me. May not have been your intention. Not sure about that sometimes. But even if you weren't directing it at me, it was definitely in my direction.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Southern by choice, post: 587603, member: 6771
This is my advice, clearly yours is different. So what. I recommend what I do (testing) because I see the devastation from these things.

But, when you said that you were in effect directing the comment at me. May not have been your intention. Not sure about that sometimes. But even if you weren't directing it at me, it was definitely in my direction.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not. Not my intention. Here on this forum there have been many that have purchased goats that were positive and they were devastated. You and I both know that CAE and even CL to an extent is manageable to a degree. Johnes is not. Johnes and CL are zoonotic, I think that is important data. Many spending a fortune in vet bills trying to figure out why this or why that and after spending all that money they test and find out the goat has CAE. Goats having chronic issue, never gaining weight etc only in the end to find out the herd had Johnes.

It isn't any different then some one asking about milk goats and you suggesting buying from herds that have proven goats with milkstars, or those that say look at LA scores... it is data. Data is useful.
Can you buy healthy disease free goats from herds that don't test? Yes
Can you buy great milkers from herds not on milk test? Yes
Is every buck that is advertised as awesome, awesome? No
Can negative animals later be positive? Yes But that sure can help a person make decisions for their herd before the entire herd is infected.

Data is helpful. We have bought goats a few times that the farm didn't test for all these things. We have quarantined some goats for over a year - testing several times.

Not everyone out there breeding goats is thorough or honest- you may be, I may be, and the people we know may be. Not everyone is and many don't know about these diseases and are breeding /selling goats, but these goats are coming from somewhere.

Ember Kinsch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Ember Kinsch you can also look on FB. See if there are any dairy goat groups for your state. You would also look at joining the ADGA district 5 FB page since your state is included.

I would join, but Mom will not allow me on FB yet. She says I have to wait until I am 16, but that will happen soon so I will keep that in mind when I have the chance to.