Goat DOWN - She's gone :(

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Update: Thank you for trying to help. She's gone. Wishful thinking on my part as she was simply in beginning stages of rigor. I'm so heartbroken, after losing our quail the other night I just didn't want to believe that she was actually dead.

:hit
Elsie is down!!! I don't know for sure that she's dead. I don't have a stetascope and can't find a pulse. But finding a pulse on the live goats with their thick coats is tough too.

Where exactly - what exactly should I do!!!???

She is curled up and stiff. Tetnus??? Mouth is cold. Ears are lukewarm. Rear is cool (outside) but it's freaking cold outside.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
She was curled up in the horses hay feeder. A place she likes to sleep. She had straw in her mouth. Mouth is locked shut. Eyes are staring but don't look dead if you know what I mean.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If you put your hand near her front legs, underneath on belly, you should be able to feel a heartbeat. Have you gotten hold of your vet yet?

I would say get her out of the hay feeder and go from there. It really sounds odd. See if she is choking on anything. Check her over to see if she could have somehow hurt herself.

I hope she is ok. :hugs

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Have you worked to get her warm, or is it too late?

If she is still hanging on, what about getting her some CMPK? BoSe? tetnus antitoxin?

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That sounds horrible! :hugs :hugs :hugs I am sooo sorry to hear this.

I don't know much about goats, but I think you should work on getting her in a warm area. Maybe put up a heat lamp and let her lay near it. Or if you have a woodstove, that may work too. But I'd try and keep her body temp up.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Thank you for trying to help. She's gone. Wishful thinking on my part as she was simply in beginning stages of rigor. I'm so heartbroken, after losing our quail the other night I just didn't want to believe that she was actually dead.

:hit

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:hit :hit I am just so very sorry. Man, I am sorry!
I read your journal and read about your poor quail.

Hugs to you:
:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

I am very sorry about this Emily. :hugs

Latest posts