Goat droppings are making me crazy!

WHFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have had two goats (a boy and girl) for about a month now. They are in a pretty large what I would consider "lot" with minimal grazing as I prepare the 4 acre field for goats ... aka ... tried unsucessfully five times now to make it "goat proof". Eventually I'll plug all the ways they are getting out. It is driving me crazy that I have been unable to find a reasonable way to clean up the goat manure! Having had horses my whole life, and large dogs, I am at a loss as to how to clean the manure in the pen! :/ Help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you've only got two a long handled dog poop scoop and rake would work.

We still use one of those to scoop up the poop left on the straw in the barn overnight. We do that early each am. Now we don't get every last little nannyberry, but it's good enough.

I sprinkle stall dry every 2 or 3 days on the wet spots. We also have a large Tek-Supply fan that we run during the day to keep the barn "dryed out".

Our electric bill runs about $200.00 a month for 2 houses, 2 barns, and a similar fan in the chicken house.

I think the fan also helps keep the flies down.

DonnaBelle

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Do you mean clean up the poo in the paddock or in the stall? I went through the same thing. You'll get over it! One of the stages of grief is acceptance, after all. :p

You can use a leaf rake in the areas where they poop the most.

I put straw down in the stall to hide the poop and do a bigger clean out every couple of weeks in the spring/summer/fall and let it pile up (adding straw on top or just letting fallen hay pile up....cleaning out the wet area by the door on occasion) and do a HUGE clean-out in the spring. Lotsa great compost material!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
:th Clean up goat poop? I don't clean it up. :D I'll clean out heavily used areas, like around feeders where the hay gets piled and gets wet and mucked up, and same for in their shelter. If I'm cleaning those areas and happened to see large amounts of poo, maybe I'll try to rake some up, but no way do I try to clean every goat turd or sheep turd that falls. That would be a very time consuming job. The chickens do a great job of scratching around and breaking stuff up. It all decomposes.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, can't help, we don't clean ours up either.

We add a little bedding as needed to keep pens and inside the barn dry, And clean out barn once a year after the winter.

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm glad this question was asked. :D We are picking up our babies this afternoon and I was wondering this very thing!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I use the same method as 20kids and also have chickens in the field with them to scratch up the poo there.

Latest posts