Goat eating dog food

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just noticed one of my goats sneaking the dog's food from her bowl. I'm assuming this is a no-no. What do you all think?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
The only times I've had goats purposely go after dog food, have been in cases where they (2 difft. animals) had severe anemia and "needed" the extra nutrients.

(My new rescue goat was given away for being a snarfer of kibble...turns out she's so anemic due to a worm overload, the dog food was probably the only thing keeping her alive.)

That said, corn is the main ingredient in a lot of dog foods, she may just be after that...but I'd check her eyelids / gums.

If they're bright pink, she's just a pig looking for a snack. ;)
If they're pale, I'd deworm her with a white dewormer.

A bite or two probably won't hurt, but overindulgence could lead to a nasty case o' the poops. You might give her a little probios if her stool softens.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Most dogfood is mostly grain, but it also contains other ruminants, so keep your goatie away from it. Diseased and downer animals go into dogfood, you don't want your goat eating that.

I have goats that would probably eat a steak if given the opportunity! :p

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Some dog food is rice based, and goats can not digest rice, so I would agree, keep the dog food for the dogs, the dogs penned up for an hour a day to eat if you have to.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have a boer doe who we found really seems to like to eat dog food if she can get at it.. It's definitely a no-no because it contains ruminant parts, so we don't let that happen. We feed the LGD seperately when we fool with the goats every evening, and his bowl comes back to the house with us..

It actually works out best for everybody to feed him that way because the big dog knows he eats when we allow him to eat. If he doesn't eat all his food in a reasonable amount of time, he does without. Being in total control of his food not only allows us to monitor and adjust his body condition as we see fit, it also cements our rolls as his alphas each and every day.. In fact, all our dogs are fed this way -- there's never any dog food left out, ever, even in the house. They eat when we tell them to eat.

Consequently, we only have one fat dog and she's got a documented thyroid problem.. :p The rest are well conditioned. Feeding this way is cheaper, too...zero waste...and each dog can have it's own special food if necessary, versus having to put everybody on a spendier food because one dog may need it.

We feed 19 cups of food per day right now among 6 dogs, with a total combined weight of...jeez...about 450lbs?

Wow...really rambled there. :gig :hide I think I may have adult onset A.D.hey a squirrel!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I agree, feeding your dogs seperately will save a lot of headaches....

We don't pick up our dog's feed pan, since the barn cats usually finish the dog's 'dinner'...but the goats aren't generally in the part of the barn where the dogs eat, either.

This new anemic doe will RUN out of the stall if given the slightest chance and make a play for the dog food pan every time, though....silly goat.

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This doe is not anemic and yes, she has been wormed. She's up to date on shots. It is a relatively new thing though. Our livestock guardian dog has to be fed among the goats as she lives with them. I'm a little shocked that she does not growl at the doe when she goes near the dog food. I need to figure out a way to feed the dog with no goats around....that's not really possible. I think this doe is just being a pig!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Can you create some type of pen inside the goat area to feed the dog? Then when you feed the dog, give him/her only a certain amount of time to eat and then it is over. Take away the food. Or are they in a barn where you can bring the dog into an isle for feeding and then put back in with the goats?

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
dhansen said:
This doe is not anemic and yes, she has been wormed. She's up to date on shots. It is a relatively new thing though. Our livestock guardian dog has to be fed among the goats as she lives with them. I'm a little shocked that she does not growl at the doe when she goes near the dog food. I need to figure out a way to feed the dog with no goats around....that's not really possible. I think this doe is just being a pig!
Occasionally, I'll set Ivan's food out before I shut the gate to the barn and a goat will slip by and go investigate the dog food. He doesn't growl either.

Instead, he gets eerily stone still and lets them come about 2" away from his kibble, then he makes an extremely abrupt snapping lunge right in their face.. That usually does the trick. :lol:

While he never, ever actually makes contact with the goat, I must admit that it was a bit nerve racking to watch it brewing the first few times.. These days, I see it coming and think to myself....watch out, goatie...you're gonna get it. Then BAM! and here comes the goat just a'gittin it toward the gate. :gig

Sometimes, I almost think I can hear him chuckle a little. :p

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
yes some goats will eat dry dog food. anything new and if the taste hits them yes.

simple to make a dog feeder.

just like a calf feeder situation.

Get some fencing, put up against another fence or solid back like the barn etc.....cut a dog hole door on that side, and cut a small opening for you to fill the food bowl.

No goats can get inside so that problem is stopped. Only if you can't feed the dog separate and want too.

but of course only if you care if that goat eats some dog food.