Goat Electric Fencing

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I put cut-off switches at every corner

Can you explain what you used? I leave the fence on when I am looking a short but having to go back to the energizer so I can fix the short is a real pain. Also, when there are times that you just NEED to do something on the other side of the fence cut off switches would be nice to have.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
So you just wire the switch in line and then when you throw the little handle it shorts it out? Hmmm. I too have been shocked by a fence with a short so not sure about that. But I trust Premier1 so maybe it would work. I have a meter I can test with to see before I touch it.

Thanks for the link.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would have to read more about that one. The ones we used didn't short anything out but just broke the connection to one side of the connection. You can disconnect power to all the hot wires on one side of even just one wire depending on how you wire it. My neighbor only uses them on the bottom hot wire when his grass starts to get a little high and touching the fence.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have problems with that lower wire too. I use the weed whacker but always seem to get the wire caught at least twice in the process. This year I am thinking weed killer. :hide It is on the outside of the fence so at least I know nothing will try and eat the grass. Not that the goats would get that close to the fence to begin with.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got a cut-off switch from the local farm supply store, and I got shocked *through the handle* when I used it. I took it out when I took out that section of fence. I haven't tried the Premier1 cut-off switch yet though. According to the reviews, it's better made.

I like the precaution on their instructions: "Make sure energizer is off when installing." :gig

meoddone

Just born
Reaction score
I'll have to check how powerful the last one I touched was, it was the first time I'd seen polytape and I thought, "there's no way that works as well as wire". I had leather gloves on and got a bite and a very audible 'POP'. I was a believer from that time forward...

Latest posts