Goat feeding techniques to make it 100KG+

Bakra

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi all......... just joined BYH.
Lookin for your help. I am gonna buy a 1-2 month old baby goat in a weeks time. I want to prepare it for slaughtering and consumption exactly 1 year after purchasing it. I have done this before too. But this time I need your help to make it at least 100kgs in an year/365 days. The species is 'Beetal' goat, found in Punjab Pakistan where I live. This years record male goat was 291 kg, same species as the one mentioned. I want mine to grow meat quickly and as much as possible. Please suggest the best feeding methods for the above mentioned scenario.... How many times/day, how much in qty so I do not over feed it, what should I feed it for rapid growth and meat production, etc. Looking forward to your co-operation in this regard. Thanks.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Can you provide a little detail about the Beetal breed? I'm sure that a lot of our members will be unfamiliar with the breed. I'm guessing that it's a meat specific breed?

Welcome to BYH!

eta: What grains are readily available to you?

Bakra

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Beetal Breed is a large breed of goats, we call it Beetal Bakra in our local language. Yes, all types of grains are readily available at mills in my city. Beetal goats are tall, have a crocked forehead and tall legs. They are raised for meat and for milk too.. Here are some pics from the web: http://www.google.com.pk/imgres?img...g.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&um=1&itbs=1
http://lahore.olx.com.pk/qurbani-animals-iid-270493307
http://karachi.olx.com.pk/bakra-for-qurbani-iid-261977893
many more pics and info are available on the web, just search on google.
Plz help with the feeding question ...

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Certainly corn will put weight on an animal but you would probably have to be careful just how much corn you feed a goat.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Certainly corn would put the weight on...but straight corn imo would not be good. Maybe doing COB...corn - oats - barley. Choosing a higher protein hay / forage will help.

Some of our members who have boers may be of greater assistance and should post soon for you.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Mixing the grains to be around 16% protein and 3% fat, with 16 % fiber from Roughage.

Feeding twice a day, instead of one time.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Wow, beautiful goats. I wouldn't mind having one of those!

The key will be to purchase a kid from a doe (mother) and buck (father) who are known to have very large babies. Then make sure that the baby has had mothers milk for at least 3 times a day for the first month along then twice a day for the second month and once a day for the third month. This will give a very good growth habit and a good start. The kid can also have grain and hay for those months as well. Feed a good balanced grain feed. If it is a buckling make sure that it does not get too much calcium in it's feed as this will cause urinary troubles and that can be a problem with it's health.

Make sure that the buck has lots of clean fresh water to drink and goat minerals (if you can get them). Grain to feed would be corn oats and barley, also feed some flax seed, (small amounts), carrots provide some vitamin A, plenty of grass, green leaves, (goats will eat whatever you let them have in the way of trees and bushes.) Many people think you should tie them up and keep them still to gain weight but this is not the best thinking. That just makes them fat. You want the animal to gain muscle because it weighs more. So let him get out and move grazing and foraging for food to build muscle weight. You can also build muscle by letting him climb on things. Goats need selenium and Vitamin E which you can buy at the drug store. If you need to know how much just ask here. You can just mash it up and put it in his food. It will make him much healthier.

Bakra

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everybody.
So I should feed him different grains, a bit of milk and fodder/ tree branches... ok.
And I should feed it twice a day...
p.s corn should be freshly harvested or the dried one which gets hard and is used for planting?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Is this animal a male (and if so, is he intact) or a female? Google "urinary calculi" - you won't keep him alive for a year if you feed him too much grain.

I would think a 16-18% feed pellet would be 'better' Corn will fatten a goat, yes, but won't build muscle like a protein-based feed will.

Exercise is key, too....A well fed goat who doesn't move much will have a thick layer of fat, while one who's exercised daily (take him for walks going up hill, put his feeder up high so he has to stand on his hind legs to eat, etc) will have more 'meaty' muscle and a thin layer of fat.

I would love to import one or two of those here to the US....stick one in a box and express mail it to me, would ya??? :lol: ;)

Bakra

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Is this animal a male (and if so, is he intact) or a female? Google "urinary calculi" - you won't keep him alive for a year if you feed him too much grain.

I would think a 16-18% feed pellet would be 'better' Corn will fatten a goat, yes, but won't build muscle like a protein-based feed will.

Exercise is key, too....A well fed goat who doesn't move much will have a thick layer of fat, while one who's exercised daily (take him for walks going up hill, put his feeder up high so he has to stand on his hind legs to eat, etc) will have more 'meaty' muscle and a thin layer of fat.

I would love to import one or two of those here to the US....stick one in a box and express mail it to me, would ya??? :lol: ;)
It's going to be a male...... and thanks for the reply. These goats are really beautiful, good to eat, lactation is 2-3 litres per day... People have a keen interest in raising these goats and the 250kg+ ones are sold between 1000-6000 dollars... But you can find a good adult male for like 300-500 dollars.
What are feed pellets :D, never heard of these... the things readily available to me are rice, maize, wheat, flours, peas, pulses, etc etc, 10 different types of trees... and ?? What should I feed my goat to make him heavy... people at my end feed them 'Desi Ghee'(it's a type of vegetable oil), milk, fodder, almonds for healthy goats.