Funkyfaith

Just born
Reaction score
We are looking to get 2 nigerian dwarf does for milk. And I have a few questions on fences. What is your favourite inexpensive but still productive fencing? I've been looking at some 4 by 100 ft welded wire fencing. But ive also been looking at electric fences. However ive heard that goats can get caught in the net electric fence.
I have another idea for fencing and I'm wondering if it would work. We have two small conjoined pastures attached to our barn. The fencing is either 3 or 4 rail vinyl horse fence. I was wondering if I strung some electric wire in between the gaps of the rails, if that would keep the goats in. This way the goats could have more room, and the fencing would be less of an eyesore. However, we will have horses. So of course first we will have to see how the horses react, anyone know how theirs were around goats?

The photo shows where we plan to put the roughly 100 ft of fencing. And then you can also see the 2 pastures

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-07-08-09-55-30-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-07-08-09-55-30-1.png
    720.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats are hard on welded wire fencing. You would be better off with woven wire fencing... unless you really enjoy redoing the fencing every 4-5 years.

We don't use electric fencing so I can't offer an opinion on putting electric wire between the gaps.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So of course first we will have to see how the horses react, anyone know how theirs were around goats?
It depends on the horse.
We were boarding a horse and he didn't get along well with out other horse, but did fine with the goats. Our other horse chased the goats. I know other people who have a horse with their goats and they do fine.

Eliya Sage

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We are looking to get 2 nigerian dwarf does for milk. And I have a few questions on fences. What is your favourite inexpensive but still productive fencing? I've been looking at some 4 by 100 ft welded wire fencing. But ive also been looking at electric fences. However ive heard that goats can get caught in the net electric fence.
I have another idea for fencing and I'm wondering if it would work. We have two small conjoined pastures attached to our barn. The fencing is either 3 or 4 rail vinyl horse fence. I was wondering if I strung some electric wire in between the gaps of the rails, if that would keep the goats in. This way the goats could have more room, and the fencing would be less of an eyesore. However, we will have horses. So of course first we will have to see how the horses react, anyone know how theirs were around goats?

The photo shows where we plan to put the roughly 100 ft of fencing. And then you can also see the 2 pastures
We have some fencing that works Awesome. the gaps are about 3in in hight and 1 inch in width.
Ours isn't beautiful, but to be fair, it's roughly 9 nears old.. Gone threw some stuff.
The goats have never escaped. They have never gotten their horns stuck in it, and if you wanted, you could run some electric wire threw it. We have two full grown pygmy wethers, and thou pygmies are small, they are scarily strong.. I'd be ok with saying, when their strength is combined they are stronger than i am. They shift their weight against it and run alongside it to get a good back rub when i'm not there. The fence holds up great. We have some fence stakes every... i wanna say, 4 or 5 feet? Works perfectly.
The only thing i'd worry about is them digging up under it, but thats a problem with almost all fencing. Just get some pegs and hammer them into the ground in-between stakes, you should be golden.
When we moved in, the fence was already there, and was dug about 2 inches into the ground. Held up great. Like i said, our wethers have never escaped.
IMG_4239.PNG

IMG_3784.PNG

As you can see they are both full grown, at one foot seven inches, measuring from the shoulder. Roughly the size to expect your NDs to be, more or less.

If you can find this fencing, i highly recommend it.
~ADDED~
OK apparently me and my friend are the only ones in the world who have had success with this fencing, when it comes to wethers and does. I keep seeing people say "No! Bucks Destroy That Fencing!" And i know your talking about does, not bucks, but if you think you'd ever get a buck, go another way with the fencing. I recommend this fencing for wethers and or does. I never would have even posted if i thought people would think i was promoting it for bucks.

Last edited:

Eliya Sage

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Also, Let us know when you get your NDs! I'm getting one nigerian doe to milk by the end of summer. My dad let me get two pygmies for my birthday after maybe 4 years of convincing. I got them so i'd have experience with goats before jumping into the milking world, and i'd recommend giving this thought. If you've never owned goats, getting plain pet goats, and then getting a milking goat, gives you experience in the goat world, before going into the milking world. I'd strongly suggest it. All the time i was trying to convince my dad getting goats was a good idea, that we could milk them, not have to buy milk, we could make yogurt, and cheese, we could finally get rid of all the brush in our woods, and make it look cleaner and prettier, (he likes clean. i personally like the brush, it looks naturie.) So he finally agreed to let me buy some for my birthday. His present to me was building them a house/mini barn/shelter, and driving me to pick them up. Best birthday ever. So anyway, the four years it took to convince him, i read. I read and did research and read some more. I bought goat care movies, i stayed up late on youtube watching goat care videos, i read every possible thing to read on goats. Then when we finally got them, i felt so unprepared. The first week we had them, one of them had diarrhea. Caused by the sudden change in feed, i had no idea what to do. 3 weeks later, Grover got the beggining of a bloat. didn't know what to do. All i'm saying is as much as we read, you can not beat hands on experience.
I think if you just got ur NGs as plan, you'd be fine, but busy and probably stressed out.
I do encourage you though :) ~it was just a suggestion.

Last edited:

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have some fencing that works AMAZING. the gaps are about 3in in hight and 1 inch in width.
Ours isn't beautiful, but to be fair, it's roughly 9 nears old.. Gone threw some stuff.
The goats have never escaped. They have never gotten their horns stuck in it, and if you wanted, you could run some electric wire threw it, though i don't see why it'd be necessary. We have two full grown pygmy weathers, and thou pygmies are small, they are scarily strong.. I'd be ok with saying, when their strength is combined they are stronger than i am. They shift their weight against it and run alongside it to get a good back rub when i'm not there. The fence holds up great. We have some fence stakes every... i wanna say, 5 or 6 feet? Works perfectly.
The only thing i'd worry about is them digging up under it, but thats a problem with almost all fencing. Just get some pegs and hammer them into the ground in-between stakes, you should be golden.
When we moved in, the fence was already there, and was dug about 2 inches int onto the ground. Held up great. Like i said, our goats have Never escaped.
View attachment 36501
View attachment 36502
As you can see they are both full grown, at one foot seven inches, measuring from the shoulder. Roughly the size to expect your NDs to be, more or less.

If you can find this fencing, i highly recommend it.
I'm assuming you don't have bucks...

That fence does not hold up well for goats who want to get through in rut. Ours got ripped up and unusable in 6 months.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welded wire is terrible.
If you have plenty of land and they never really get near the fence that is one thing but a general rule is get fencing you don't have to replace.
The welds do pop and then wires poke and spoke.
We have WW in some spots but have hot wire on it to prevent rubbing and tearing down.

SAM_0952.JPG

SAM_0953.JPG

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We had a buck get an abscess soon after the wire was ripped. We think he punctured it on one of the strands. Of course it had to be drained and tested for CL. Would have saved $300 at the vet if he hadn't done that. :(

Eliya Sage

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm assuming you don't have bucks...

That fence does not hold up well for goats who want to get through in rut. Ours got ripped up and unusable in 6 months.
Yes, you assumed right, we don't have bucks. But, we aren't talking about bucks. I had not said anything about it being buck safe. I said it worked great for wethers, and my opinion along with a friend of the family who has bred Nigerians Pygmies and Boers for years and years, agrees that Pygmy wethers and Nigerian doe's strength/size are very close. I agree this fencing shouldn't be used for bucks, but, i think it works great for does or wethers.

Eliya Sage

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We had a buck get an abscess soon after the wire was ripped. We think he punctured it on one of the strands. Of course it had to be drained and tested for CL. Would have saved $300 at the vet if he hadn't done that. :(

I'm sincerely sorry about your buck, and about the money it coast. We have weathers, and our family friend who has Nigerians,does and bucks, and the same type of fencing, have never had any problems, as far as weathers and does go. He has had 2 bucks escape over the past few years, but Bucks determined to breed are a whole different creature from weathers and does. I recommend the fencing for wethers and Or does. I certainly agree it shouldn't be used for bucks.