Goat fencing

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So after we get the land fixed up a bit we are going to fence it for goats. I currently have a smallish herd of Nigerians.

Here's my problem(s):
We have a coyote problem and my neighbor has a big nasty dog that they let loose. Also 2 sides of the fence will be along the road.

Me and my dad are arguing over the best fence to put up. Something secure. He wants to put cattle panels up and line them with goat fencing similar to the current setup. I don't want to pay $25 a panel plus fencing. Itd be a couple thousand for just the panels.

I'd like to just put the goat fence up and run 2 strands of electric (1 on top and 1 about 6" off the ground. He's worried they will rub along the fence and stretch the wire and get out.

What does everyone do for safe fencing?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I ha
So after we get the land fixed up a bit we are going to fence it for goats. I currently have a smallish herd of Nigerians.

Here's my problem(s):
We have a coyote problem and my neighbor has a big nasty dog that they let loose. Also 2 sides of the fence will be along the road.

Me and my dad are arguing over the best fence to put up. Something secure. He wants to put cattle panels up and line them with goat fencing similar to the current setup. I don't want to pay $25 a panel plus fencing. Itd be a couple thousand for just the panels.

I'd like to just put the goat fence up and run 2 strands of electric (1 on top and 1 about 6" off the ground. He's worried they will rub along the fence and stretch the wire and get out.

I have used both welded wire ( not suggested for long term use ) and replaced it with no climb fencing for our ND goats. Never had a problem with any escaping and no stretching either, plan is to attach our electric fencing at some point. The cost of no climb is a little higher, but it is a strong long lasting secure fence, we used both wood posts across the front of our property, and metal t posts along the back and one side.... :idunno

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score

Here's my problem(s):

both ideas are great, but again, we are talking about the safety of your herd, If you will let me pick, the electric fence is a greater deal. especially for coyotes.