Goat fencing?

Azurecowgoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My mom seems to think that goats are masters at excaping, but is that true? I want to get mostly Nigerian dwarfs and maybe two nubians. How tall does the fence have to be to keep in the goats and keep predators out? Anything else I should know about goat fencing?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
And some ARE masters at escaping. How high can they jump? I have had them clear 4' with ease, most don't. It's really dependent on the individual goat. But the grass is always greener on the other side. :lol:

You need either the 4x4 goat fence or the 2x4 horse fence, good posts and no ditches at bottoms, or boxes they can climb on inside to then ump over. At least 48' high. Good and tight, for most that is fine. Many use a hot wire along with that.

It's like this -- ALL dogs are cable of digging out, not all do. Same with goats...all can jump, crawl under, if head goes thru, body follows. Young ones LOVE to jump, onto anything.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have lamancha and nigerians. My fences are 4' except for a few places where the waste hay has built up to make the fence about 3'...but mine like their pen. If I remove them from the pen they panic and do their best to get back into their barn pen. The dwarf bucks can fly when they want when young but if they got out they'd be alone and they don't coordinate well with each other so in they stay. The lamancha bucks don't show interest in trying to climb or jump out either. My advice is to get 4' fences, good goats, and keep them well fed, well watered, and entertained in a good amount of space and keep your fingers crossed.

Just as a heads up: the babies sure do like to slip out of fences and endanger themselves if you let them.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’ve 4ft fences, we started with gradiated wire, smaller at the bottom and bigger at the top, we had to redo everything because the goats would get stuck in the fence and then I’d have to cut the fence and then the chickens could escape and then the goats got their head stuck again and it was not fun for any of us. Goats can push under or hop over the fence, ask me how I know lol. Basically, the cardinal rule is never let an animal become hungry or thirsty, and never EVER let a goat get bored. I broke the last cardinal rule, now my fence has to have a hot wire because my fruit trees are just too tasty to resist. I have mostly Pygmy goats by the way. Heads up on Nubians, they are known to be escape artists, and you have to be careful of a mixed herd so that the littles don’t get pushed around. Which if your little ones are anything like mine, that won’t be a problem.

Fuchsia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My goats don't get out, my baby will get out once in a while but goes back in to be with its mom.
The only time they got out was when I forgot to lock their fence :D =D but even then they where just outside the fence eating grass. I guess the grass tasted better out there than in pasture/pen. :lol:

ancient

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I agree. Depends on the goat.i have all La Manchas. My fence is 5 feet(small section is 4 feet) I don't have a problem with the hight but there was one spot slightly wider between the bars then the rest and my fattest doe kept getting out. I thought the whole time she was jumping the 4 foot section it turns out she was squeezing through the wide section. I didn't think she could possibly fit, especially with the horns but she did. One time by buck was chained out (. Had to put him somewhere for a few hours while I was fixing his house/run). It was a heavy chain my husband uses to exercise his pit bulls. I went in to get my son lunch and all the dogs started barking. I kept going out and not seeing anything. I went after to look in at my does (who I didn't want to breed that year) . The buck got the one end of the chain that was tied to a tree loose, ran with the heavy chain behind him to the other end of the acreage and jumped my does 6 foot high fence. By the time I realized he was already in action.

Nommie Bringeruvda Noms

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If it will hold tall, hyperactive water, it *might* hold goats, lol.
OK, in all seriousness, we use goat panels for little ones and cattle panels for the big ones, and they seem to be working well - but they haven't been 'kid' tested, yet. We're still small - only 8 goats, but 4 Nigoras, 1 Boer/myotonic, and 3 Nubians. Last year, we didn't have the panels, we only had the 3 Houdinis Nigoras (buck, doe, & doeling), and rutting season was... like trying to cage hyperactive water. So far, this year has been much easier, with only 1 Houdini Nigora (last year's doeling), insisting we are not the boss of her. Ahem.