Goat fencing?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We never had a problem with our goats getting out. They were all in milk and most milkers won't jump anything with that heavy bag hanging. Also they were free fed with plenty of alfalfa and water. Their pen was fairly large and had lots of shade and sun to lie in. They liked it so much that when we put them on the field to graze they bawled at the gate to come back into their pen.

They were all bottle raised too which makes a difference. We removed the kids before they could nurse and hand raised all the kids and milked the does out every 12 hours. I think this makes a big difference. The kids were kept in a separate pen with small openings in the wire and their own kid house. They didn't join the milkers until they were yearlings.

ConnieEm

Just born
Reaction score
My goats don't get out, my baby will get out once in a while but goes back in to be with its mom.
The only time they got out was when I forgot to lock their fence :D =D but even then they where just outside the fence eating grass. I guess the grass tasted better out there than in pasture/pen. :lol:
And so what do you use to keep them in?

Azurecowgoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do you think something like this would work for nigerian dwarf goats and possibly nubians? images.jpg

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've seen that done before. I'm not sure if it lasts forever, but I have seen serious goaters do it. Woven wire would make sure it would work. I think the horse fence supports it if nailed on properly.

Azurecowgoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've seen that done before. I'm not sure if it lasts forever, but I have seen serious goaters do it. Woven wire would make sure it would work. I think the horse fence supports it if nailed on properly.
thanks

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is the wooden fence sturdy and solid? If so, putting woven (NOT welded) wire on the wood fence should work for the goats. Not so sure about predators depending on the height and whether anything can dig under..