Goat hand milking machine, anybody?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It's really amazing the things folks stress over... Some don't even realize it... those stressing or those creating the stress...

BrokeHenJenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I found a link to that cheap & easy pump I was looking for. Basically, it's a 35cc syringe, 1/4 inch tubing (like for an aquarium), and a spray bottle. Super easy, super cheap, may or may not work, depends on the doe, I guess. Some are easier to milk than others. Personally, even though I was a lactation consultant for new moms, I was never able to supply bottles for my babies. Fortunately, I was a full-time Mommy and didn't have to rely on formula, because I tried about half a dozen different pumps (hand, battery & electric) and no-go. Never figured out why, I had gallons of milk, enough for triplets. Anyway, that's just to say you never can be too sure, but this pump is certainly cheap and easy enough to try, even for someone as poor as I am. Here's a link at e-how, let us know how it works!

I tried this on my FF this year just to see since her teats were sooooo tiny the first few days I practically had to use a tweezer to milk her (might be a slight exaggeration - I was sleep deprived after all). It didn't create nearly enough suction to work which I can't say I'm overly surprised about. Same goes for the converting a human milk pump (we tried it on a Medela Pump-in-Style Advanced) and had the same lack of suction problem. Thankfully before the end of her first week the babies were sleeping through the night and she started getting more and more milkable the fuller she got. She's downright decent now. So thankful I had the help of a dear friend to guide me through the process. ((Thanks SbC!))

Now I'm debating between the Udderly EZ and springing for a "real" milker for those times when I'm not able to milk.

BrokeHenJenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I found a link to that cheap & easy pump I was looking for. Basically, it's a 35cc syringe, 1/4 inch tubing (like for an aquarium), and a spray bottle. Super easy, super cheap, may or may not work, depends on the doe, I guess. Some are easier to milk than others. Personally, even though I was a lactation consultant for new moms, I was never able to supply bottles for my babies. Fortunately, I was a full-time Mommy and didn't have to rely on formula, because I tried about half a dozen different pumps (hand, battery & electric) and no-go. Never figured out why, I had gallons of milk, enough for triplets. Anyway, that's just to say you never can be too sure, but this pump is certainly cheap and easy enough to try, even for someone as poor as I am. Here's a link at e-how, let us know how it works!

I tried this on my FF this year just to see since her teats were sooooo tiny the first few days I practically had to use a tweezer to milk her (might be a slight exaggeration - I was sleep deprived after all). It didn't create nearly enough suction to work which I can't say I'm overly surprised about. Same goes for the converting a human milk pump (we tried it on a Medela Pump-in-Style Advanced) and had the same lack of suction problem. Thankfully before the end of her first week the babies were sleeping through the night and she started getting more and more milkable the fuller she got. She's downright decent now. So thankful I had the help of a dear friend to guide me through the process. ((Thanks SbC!))

Now I'm debating between the Udderly EZ and springing for a "real" milker for those times when I'm not able to milk.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score

Aww your welcome :hugs
For now with only a few does in milk I'd go with the Udderly EZ. A big milk machine is a lot to clean... we are still getting our replacement parts in for ours so we aren't using it yet- but @babsbag can tell you it takes a lot of work. We won't use ours til all 10 are in milk. Kinda wish I had an Udderly EZ right now...

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The "real" milkers are a pain and I am sure that I don't clean mine as it should be cleaned. I have no hot water at the barn so I run soapy water through it and then bleach water through it and then it is hung to dry. Once a week it comes to the house for a bath...I literally use the bathtub. All of the hoses come apart and all pieces (except the pulsator) are soaked in an acid wash. Getting the milk stone off of the stainless steel can be a challenge and often requires scrubbing with steel wool. (which might be a really bad thing for the can). Also finding a long brush that fits the hoses was not easy. I bought a CPAP tube brush and cut it down to fit.

If you ever suck milk up into the pulsator that is another procedure and cleaning that must be done.

I also have a bucket of soap and bleach at the barn that the inflations get dipped into between goats...would hate to spread mastitis among my herd so I make sure they are sanitized between does.

Of course all of it, the equipment, and the procedure will all change when the dairy is done.

I would never machine milk for one or two does unless I had a real need, like arthritis. Hand milking is so much more enjoyable. IMO

raeleigh26

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a dansha milker. ..tried it once on my micro mini dexter. ....it did what it was supposed to , it sucked.
That that was all. A dribble of milk, I tried for almost an hour before I was afraid her teats would turn purple and just hand milked.
I've seen the videos, seems to work really well, but that was not my experience. Also, the cup that holds the hose to the pump has an ineffective o ring, it falls off with the least bit of disturbance. The hoses still aren't dry after a week hanging, and I'd be afraid to use them again. It was a serious pain to try to get both cups to hold at once, hitting the button with my knees, while holding both cups on her teats, while she complained about it.
I wasted my money, as I got it over a month before I started milking and can't return it.
Might be great for goats, don't try it on anything else.

Dorinda Oakes

Just born
Reaction score
I ruined a goat's teats with a non surge milker. Don't make the same mistake. Surge milkers are cheap enough and you can easily buy the pieces and build your own. We bought a Perry's Milker and it is working out very well for us. Surge milkers cost only about double what a non surge milker does but if you ruin your animal then your out the cost of both. A Decent Doe in milk will easily cost more than a surge milker. Multiply that by 18(our herd size). As a breeder we put a lot of work into getting does that do well on the milk stand nobody wants to destroy their hard work. It is just not worth the savings.

The non-surge milkers like the Henry Milker, EZ Milker, and Dansha as well as other are fine for short term use, collecting colostrum or if you have to have a weekend house sitter milk your girl but they are not designed for milking for 320 days a year.

Dorinda Oakes

Just born
Reaction score
I have no hot water at the barn so I run soapy water through it and then bleach water through it and then it is hung to dry.

You are not supposed t use hot or even warm water on them at all. It causes milk stone to form. here are the instructions on how to clean a milker.

SteveElms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have the Henry milker. I got it because the people that owned our Nigerian used it on her and she did fine. I used it last year on her and it worked well. This year we got 2 Toggenburgs from a dairy that had a mainline system (at least I think that's what it's called). I used the Henry Milker and they didn't have any problems with making the switch. I did ask the dairy what pressure they used on the goats there and I make sure I stay right around that on my hand pump (12 psi).

The thing I like about the system is that everything is sealed and hair/dirt doesn't get in the milk. I also use two half gallon jars, and have a tote that holds everything, including wipes/washcloths etc. it's easy to tote everything to the stanchon and back to the house. The pump is easy to use and the shutoff valves allow me to start one teat at a time, and shut one off and let the other side finish milking.

Right now I'm only milking the two toggs, but soon we will be milking the Nigerians and that may present an issue. The milker comes with inserts for the smaller teats like the Nigerians, but it's not something that you can swap in and out easily (at least I doubt it would be easy but haven't tried). I will probably order extra cups, lines and lids and swap out the pump.

Good luck with whatever you go with.