Goat health

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree.
Get them tested and get the titers. If their titers are high, but the goats have no visible lumps they have a high probability of it being internal. :(

How many lumps have they had? How often do they present with the lumps?

So sorry you are dealing with this :(

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Southern by choice, it was meat goat people that cleaned up their herd by getting goats vaccinated. Once they stopped the abscesses they stopped spreading the disease. It may be spread other ways but pus is still the most common. The genetics were too good to cull and it took them about 3 years to raise replacement animals that were clean. They are worried about CL if they sell commercially, the carcass can be condemned.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Southern by choice, it was meat goat people that cleaned up their herd by getting goats vaccinated. Once they stopped the abscesses they stopped spreading the disease. It may be spread other ways but pus is still the most common. The genetics were too good to cull and it took them about 3 years to raise replacement animals that were clean. They are worried about CL if they sell commercially, the carcass can be condemned.

You have to look by region. Here 90% of meatgoat people haven't even heard of CL, don't care, don't want ti know. Whole herds infected but market weight is 60 lbs so as long as those kids have no abscesses they don't care.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not being argumentative- but if the goats are all vaccinated how do they know if the goats are truly negative? Or are the goats just not showing symptoms because they are vaccinated?

At this point, I'd be worried about the land and barns being contaminated. Doesn't sound like these goats were quarantined when they presented with the lumps.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Because after the first two years they stopped vaccinating. Once the abscesses stopped it stopped contaminating surroundings and herd mates. Also they were doing blood tests and the titers on the vaccinated goats that had never had an abscess were actually going down. I have quite a few friends that run a Boer herd and a dairy herd and for many of the Boer auctions the breeders have to prove CL negative or vaccinated goats. These people run a lot of goats and they worked hard to clean up their herd and it worked. I really wonder how prevalent infection from surroundings is. I have never seen a study on that.

Also what does a vaccine do for an animal with internal CL? I don't know that either. :)

Latest posts