Goat Hoof Trimming

SDBoerGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Excellent hoof trimming video. :)That is how I learned to trim my goats, no one around here trimmed goats or knew how. I read books but I need to SEE it done. I searched youtubes and learned from that. But this video is even better. Thanks for posting. She is a lot more aggressive than I am in trimming, I am always afraid of taking off too much.

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Great video! I hate to admit it but I've put this off b/c I've never trimmed hooves before but after watching this I feel confident that I can do it.... Now I just need some hoof trimmers. :lol:

Cabinchick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:thumbsup Just trimmed my three myotonic doelings hooves for the first time. THANK YOU for this video link. The breeder gave me a demo but she lives 9 hours away from me. The video gave a better explanation of what the hooves should look like when trimmed, and after watching the video I wasn't as nervous.

KFaye

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Great Video! Thank you so much. Read books but nothing like watching the real thing. Thank you.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Good video. I just want to tell everybody that reads this that trimming hooves isn't very hard. I know alot of people that is/was scared to trim their goats hooves. I was scared at first too. After a time or two you get the hang of it. If you have small goats, like Pygmys or Nigerians, then you can flip them on their sides and gently sit on them it is very easy. The don't try and get up and run, so it only takes a minute or two. With bigger goats, like Kikos or Boers, it is a little harder because you need to have them standing as you trim the hooves. When they're standing the like to kick and move. It can be a bit challenging. Good luck to all the first timers! Remember after a time or two, you'll have it down!

NannaSue

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank-you SO much for your well made instructional video! You make it look easy.
I don't feel quite so timid to trim my Pygmies' and Nigi's hooves now. What kind of sheers/clippers do you and everyone use? Anybody want to brag about their favorite equipment? I would enjoy advice. I want to get a good pair of the hoof trimmers, that are comfortable; I've a bit hand pain with too much use.
I've found some hoof trimmers online at Hoegger Supply Co. and Jeffers Livestock. and can't make up my mind. Should I go for the higher priced pair? Also, a hoof plane is suggested. Do you have another video showing how to use this? Or can recommend where I should go to find this info?
I have two "grade"Pygmies, mother &daughter, and one registered Nigi doeling out of Dean's Funny Farm. We have 1&1/2acres of very, very rocky semi arid West Texas land. The two Pygmy Does hooves have seemed ok on the rough ground, but the baby's hooves look like I will need to trim.
I enjoy coming to 'MyBackyardHerd' as a newbie and reading all the great posts.
NannaSue

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you so much. My DH has been using a file because we were scared to cut them. I am going to get some shears and get it done. :thumbsup