Goat Hoof Trimming

Jeremy W

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Good video it's not hard to trim their hooves might want to watch on the it hind feet if there not used to being trimmed they do like to kick !!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
For those that don't have a milk stand, I use a collar and dog leash, tied securely to a fence with only about 6-10 inches of lead available for movement (any less room for movement seems to panic animals that aren't used to being on a lead). I have my helper, put weight or pressure enough to keep the goat securely up against the fence or "braced" against the knee/leg of my helper depending on the animals temperament. My helper pets and talks to the goats helping to keep them calm during the procedure. I am able to trim even my big boer boys hooves this way.

MrsKuhn

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
THANK YOU!!!

This is going to be soooooo much help when we get our two babies. First time mama here :celebrate and I am not sure i have someone close by to mentor me and teach me how to do this. still a little scary but it can't much worse than dog nails.... right?:hide

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day,watched the video,a very good presentation the only comment I would offer is that you don't have to achieve "perfect " in one go_On white hoofed animals the "horn" is very soft and in both sheep and goats if they are on "soft" ground it will grow and "roll-over"on the edges,the inside is not as quick ,stay away as much as you can from the "heel".On very wet country you can have the hoof itself get quite "spongy" but a dry environment will soon firm it up.I doubt anyone with "stony land" will have a problem as it wears down naturally.

Most new feet trimmers have a fear of cutting to deep and making it "bleed",so start slowly and the inner horn will naturally "retreat" thus reducing the risk of bleeding...T.O.R.

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have to do hoofs a lot. One our males seems to grow faster than the rest as well. We also placed a few boulder rocks in a row so to speak. The younger ones like to jump from rock to rock, naturally filing away the growth. It is always a chore to schedule all in a day so we try to keep up on it to make it less a chore. Sometimes if your goats aren't active, their hoofs are uncomfortable. Regular hoof trimming will keep your herd active and hopping.
Good thread. Thanks for letting me join in!
Fc

Daisygoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have three Boer goats and two of them have long hoofs. We try to trim them down but usually only manage to trim maybe two hoofs as they are a handful and tend to get antsy so the task has gotten almost too much for hubs and me! Those goats are starting to limp a bit and we want to get them taken care of soon! Any idea on how to hire someone to do this for us? Can't seem to find anyone around us that does this any more. We live in north central Indiana. Thx for any advice or help.

Mary Brookhart

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Excellent hoof trimming video. :)That is how I learned to trim my goats, no one around here trimmed goats or knew how. I read books but I need to SEE it done. I searched youtubes and learned from that. But this video is even better. Thanks for posting. She is a lot more aggressive than I am in trimming, I am always afraid of taking off too much.
I'm afraid to trim...that i might take to much. good video.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mary Brookhart, you could use a hoof plane instead of clippers on hooves. A plane takes a little off at a time.

https://www.caprinesupply.com/hoof-plane.html

It is easy to use. You do need to watch where your hands are in relation to the plane and hoof as it is easy to plane your hand at the same time. Even with that caution, the plane is easy and you can't take too much off at one time.

Mary Brookhart

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score

Mary Brookhart

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
i will have to purchase. i have arthritis in my hands so trimming is hard. thank you.

Latest posts