Goat Hoof Trimming

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
i will have to purchase. i have arthritis in my hands so trimming is hard. thank you.
G'day Mary,why not ask a friend/neighbor to give you a hand? It is not a job that you undertake on a weekly basis.Down here we (as in I) are lucky in that we have sandy/gravelly soils and so once the new sheep are trimmed properly the abrasive nature of the soils keep them pretty good.

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Good video it's not hard to trim their hooves might want to watch on the it hind feet if there not used to being trimmed they do like to kick !!
LOL, yes they do kick. But I make Hubby hold them upright so their spine is to his chest and just have him hold the leg I'm working on by the thigh. That way they don't have the same range of movement if the leg was completely free. That way nobody gets hurt... Works like a charm with two people. If it's just you.. good luck. I'd straddle the goat facing his rear and grab a leg from behind.. Good luck.....

S

shuvasishphotography

Excellent Blog! I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping for the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a big goat with super tough hooves. What brand trimmer do you use? Mine won’t get through the thick nubs he grows. I’ve even tried pruning shears for a little extra bite, but they don’t cut it.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Have you tried a hoof knife?
I actually got one, and practiced on potatoes, but I didn’t feel comfortable trying it on him. For both his and my safety. But a friend of a friend started helping and they use a dremmel tool for some parts and heavy duty trimmer for the rest. They will actually dremmel down so they can cut through with trimmers too.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I actually got one, and practiced on potatoes, but I didn’t feel comfortable trying it on him. For both his and my safety. But a friend of a friend started helping and they use a dremmel tool for some parts and heavy duty trimmer for the rest. They will actually dremmel down so they can cut through with trimmers too.
Interesting!

I have heard some people have had great success with dremels.... never tried one on a living beast.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Interesting!

I have heard some people have had great success with dremels.... never tried one on a living beast.

He’s a really calm goat, but he hates his feet being played with, so we get him on his side and pin him. She takes her time to make sure not to get too far down, it usually take about 45 minutes. All I can say is his results are amazing and I wish I’d have taken pictures to chronicle. Oh, and we started using a horse hood conditioner called hoof flex because my goat’s hooves crack very badly. That’s also made them more supple to cut.