Goat Horns

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm sorry to jump in here, but.............
Can the disbudding NOT take? I've got some little cone shaped spots where the horns are on my little guys. ??? I'm really hoping they "took". :(

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:(
I figured.

hope, hope, hope, hope, hope, hope, hope....... :)

Rence

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
sweetshoplady said:
Will having horns be a "flaw" as far as someone wanting to buy them as a future milk goat, or as a pet? Because the sire is not registered, the kids will not be. But they should be a nice good producing milk goat as they're all dairy and their mamas are good producers.
For me, horns would be a deal-breaker on a potential herd addition, even with the best milking bloodlines.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
lost a good goat with horns, she ran loose for several years, then one day i could not find her. couple days later i did, hung in fence, by her horns. there is dehorning paste that works, but you must follow directions, especially about the vaseline above eyes, and holding the still for half hour or so. we use the hot iron, not expensive, under 40.00 thru jeffers livestock supply. we also give tetnus antitoxin when dehorning. we also tattoo at same time. where are you that needs your goats disbudded? oh, and we had bad luck with dehorning an older goat, was given sedative to remove a large scur(get these when disbudding not done correctly), she never woke up, bloated and died. was really upset, she was a great young doe with a week old doe kid on her side. vet did not warn of this complication, and we had never had a case of bloat, so did not reconize it. so better to disbud when young IMO.

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We don't disbud or dehorn, but we would if someone wanted us to. We like our dairy goats with horns. They are great handles. The big thing to remember is they are dangerous, so are guns and knives. Treat horns like you would any dangerous weapon! lf your area is an area where people are looking for disbudded kids more often than not, then go with the disbudding. Our area in Virginia is not a good area for disbudding, so we don't.

Chris